At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We're the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
Flights Mission and Purpose
Our flight business is one of the cornerstones of the connected trip. We ought to offer the best and most convenient flights to every customer, those that start their trip by buying a flight or those that are complementing their existing journey with a flight. We will do this by having the best inventory available at the most competitive prices powering a site that solves all the pain points of booking a flight today.
Our ideal candidate has an excellent eye for detail, pragmatic approach and an absolute commitment to making sure features are well implemented and bug free. We make all of our decisions based on experiments and testing, so you should be excited by taking a data-led approach to development. If you believe you're also a passionate advocate for the user, and are looking to work in an agile, collaborative environment then we would like to hear from you!
Software Developer in Flights
The Software Developer within the Flights business solves customer and partner pain points providing the best and most efficient technical solutions. We have a complex and distributed set of systems that provide end-to-end flights experience from our provider sources' availability towards the end Booking.com customer and its partners. This enables flight travelers to extend their experience as a Booking.com customer adding value through other critical offers such as accommodation or ground transportation. The Flights stack follows a modern architecture of services in a highly distributed environment of supply towards demand clients.
As a Software Developer, you are responsible for the development, performance, and scaling of our public website as well as internal systems. You will work independently and will also be responsible for making technical decisions within a team.
Important aspects of the job include:
- Rapidly developing next-generation scalable, flexible, and high-performance systems.
- Solving issues with the systems, prioritizing based on customer impact
- Advocating best development practices within the team.
- Be owner for teams' microservices and services
- Acting as an intermediary for problems, with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Contributing to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts
We are looking for driven Developers who enjoy solving problems, who initiate solutions and discussions and who believe that any challenge can be scaled with the right mindset and tools.
We have found that people who match the following requirements are the ones who fit us best:
- Minimum of 3 years of software development experience; experience with Java
- Demonstrable experience with multiple database systems (MySQL, Cassandra, etc.)
- Experience with SOA .
- Very good understanding of APIs design and Kafka queues
- Experience with unit, integration, and end-to-end testing paradigms.
- Experience with defining and upholding SLOs/KPIs
- Experience of working on products that impact a large customer base is an advantage
- Experience with building highly scalable distributed systems and batch processing pipelines is an advantage.
- Preferably a university degree in Software Engineering or related field
- Excellent communication; written and spoken
- Experience in Flights is plus
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com