GL Accountant - Corporate Accounting
It wasn't so long ago that booking a trip to see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York's iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone.
In fact, that's what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we're busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more.
Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.
We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
We are looking for a GL Accountant to join our Global Accounting Team in our office in Amsterdam. You will report to the Team Lead and work closely together with other departments in our Amsterdam office. The tasks and duties of this role may evolve over time. You will be keen to develop and grow within the role and to take on additional challenges and responsibilities as they occur.
- Complete the monthly closing process for various entities within Booking, including preparation of journal entries, accruals, prepayments, intercompany transactions, reconciliation of general ledger accounts, detailed supporting analysis and relevant documentation.
- Review and perform variance analysis on balance sheet and profit and loss accounts during the closing procedures.
- Support payroll team with monthly processes and review the payroll journals and supporting documentation.
- Work closely with external providers (local accountants and external auditors) to ensure that the organization is compliant with the local regulations.
- Collect, compile, verify, and analyze financial information and prepare reports so that stakeholders have accurate and timely information for making business decisions. These reports may include financial statements and regulatory filings such as VAT and corporate income tax declarations.
- Proactively work to ensure all compliance requirements are met in a timely manner, i.e. various tax filings, statutory and statistical filings and audits.
- Provide technical accounting advice within your area of expertise to functional or operational areas managers to help them develop expense budgets, understand financial reports, and manage their financial responsibilities.
- Participate in initiatives and projects and actively drive continuous process improvements and innovations.
- Help the team meet and exceed department goals.
Minimum 1-3 years of Accounting experience
- Knowledge of US GAAP/IFRS
- Able to cope with dynamic and high change environment
- Takes ownership for responsibilities with a positive attitude
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Proactive self-starter, resourceful with strong work ethic
- Solution-oriented and result-driven
- Capable of working independently as well as working in a team
- Strong IT experience in financial systems, including SAP, is preferable
- Fluent in spoken and written English