Front End Developer
Who are we?
At Booking.com, we make it easier for everyone to experience the world. We began by taking hotel bookings online over 20 years ago and we've been shaping the travel industry ever since. Today, we're building a platform that connects all parts of the trip - from accommodation to transport, tickets, tours and more.
From our HQ in Manchester, our Transportation team helps people get where they want to go, anywhere in the world. Whether customers want the freedom of a car, the ease of a taxi or the economy of public transport, we make it all possible.
Our team is passionate about helping people travel. They see challenges as opportunities. And they're always ready for change.We'd love to add to that team with a Front-End Developer in Manchester.
Our responsibilities and core values
- Own It
- Learn Forever
- Succeed Together
- Do the Right Thing
- Think Customer First
- Work within a cross functional team
- Be proactive in driving improvements in engineering practices across the Engineering discipline
- size and estimate work
- Contribute to the evolution of best practices of the department
- Interest or Experience in Ecommerce
- Help the team to build, design and deliver high quality solutions in line with guidance and best practices of the department
- Collaborate with the team and others to deliver high quality solutions
- Keep abreast of existing technologies and be able to apply these to a variety of projects as applicable
- Write, review and take responsibility for clear, concise technical documentation
- Supporting live products in a DevOps environment
- Have fun
We are looking for a superb developer who can solve complex problems and help drive forward the Booking.com's technical strategy. The right candidate will enjoy working closely with more junior developers and enjoy mentoring and helping the team with best practice. We're looking to free up our developers to work on interesting problems, not waste their time doing repetitive work, so if you have experience in Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery that'd be a bonus.
We have a quality first mind-set, we've found that we get better quality code if its developed using TDD or BDD. We'd like to champion these kind of development methodologies in your team.
We have a diverse technology estate which lets our employees work develop their skills in all tiers of the E-Commerce stack, we encourage you to move between areas as a part of your career development and aspirations.
Developing features for our web site across mobile, tablet and desktop. Our web site is the high-volume site handling millions of searches and bookings a year with a strong focus on A/B testing.
- Highly Proficient with HTML 5, AJAX, Bootstrapping, HTML, HTTP and JSON
- Solid understanding of styling and applying design to web pages using CSS
- Good understanding of asynchronous systems and messaging for example Kafka
- Quality first mind-set for writing code using techniques such as TDD or BDD
- Solid understanding of Agile practices
- Commercial experience in an e-commerce background and A/B testing
- Cloud technologies such as AWS and container technologies such as Docker
- Good understanding or knowledge of web server technology such as Apache or Tomcat
- Ownership of your work and a great technical challenge
- A great new office to work in the heart of Manchester
- Generous pension of up to 10% contribution from us
- Great facilities - subsidised canteen and Starbucks, free breakfast & free fruit and cycle hub
- An exciting and dynamic place to work
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank holidays (rising to 28 days after 3 years of service)
- Great discounts on accommodation, car rentals and other group benefits
- Opportunity to shape the future of the team
- Software development kit and technology that works!
We want our colleagues to have a work life balance that works both for them and the business. Our core hours are 10-4 with flexibility around that within a 37.5 hour week. We are also open to considering other flexible working arrangements. Please ask our Talent Specialists who can discuss this with you.