Engineering Manager - Trip Foundations
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We're the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
Are you curious about the complexities in discovering and leveraging Travel deals or promotions while planning your trips? By the fragmentation of information with the varying levels of trust in the different promotions and discounts while planning a trip or traveling? We know that travel means more than booking a hotel room or flight. The places you visit, the things you see, the people you meet; there are countless moments that shape every travel experience.
Trips, as part of Central Product, is focused in bridging the Booking of today into the Booking of tomorrow, and lead the evolution of Booking from a single product company to a multi-product offering company with an unprecedented, personalised travel experience at the heart of its success
Our Trip Value Package team under Trip Foundations org is responsible for building the customer experience and platforms in the area of promotional product, monetary value, package products in closed user group benefits and the exposure in a consistent way across the Trip lifecycle. Delivering this mission is the focus of the Trip Value Package Team. Based in Amsterdam, we're a thriving group of curious, fast-paced and focused people who are dedicated to bringing innovation to the travel market. We're looking for an Engineering Manager who likes getting stuck into new business development, influencing new tech solutions and building products from scratch.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a strong hands-on Engineering Manager . This role is to primarily manage, coach and develop an engineering team, ensuring the development of both (the individual and team as a whole) are in line with organisational objectives and direction. You should be a role model, technically strong to help your team develop and be able to be hands-on when needed. The Engineering Manager Manages all activities of an engineering in scope through the direction of activities, to design new products and modify existing designs, ensuring that deliverables are on time and with acceptable quality. The role holder is required to analysetechnology trends, human talent needs, and market demand to plan projects to ensure resilience in line with current demand and future ambition. In addition to this, the role will confer with leaders, production, key stakeholders and marketing teams to determine engineering feasibility, cost effectiveness, scalability and time-to-market for new and existing products.
- People Leadership
- Inspire and motivate multiple cross functional product teams
- Directly manage Engineers in multiple teams
- Lead by example by taking ownership, being proactive and collaborating
- Nurture, grow and develop engineering talent in the team
- Foster a great culture that innovates, work together as a team, partner with other Booking.com com teams and roles and celebrates unified success
- Respects the Booking.com values and uses them as a guide to the way we work
- Technology, Craft & Delivery
- Mastery in technology leadership including shaping ways of working
- Engineering delivery, quality and practices within own team including delivery management
- Delivery of the wider Engineering strategic objectives
- Embed Agile ways of working and values within the organisation
- Get into the technical detail where required to coach, support and mentor the team
- Engineering Craftsmanship including coaching and mentoring the team
- Adhere to the default principles for Architecture, quality and non-functional requirements
- Contribute to the evolution of best practices across the department
- Drive a culture of ownership and technical excellence, including reactive work such as incident escalations
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and be able to share learning's and apply these to a variety of projects as applicable
- Architecture & Product Strategy
- Thought partner for Product to define, shape and deliver the roadmap
- Build new products, processes and operational plans
- Negotiate on the strategic importance of own product roadmap features
- Drive innovation in own team
- Own the architecture across own team
- 7+ years of experience in software development as a developer excluding internship
- At least 3 years of experience leading and managing a team of engineers in a fast-paced and complex environment
- A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of developing and shipping software
- You have strong technical skills (Coding & System design), you can get hands-on with your team if needed.
- Experience with microservice architecture, Java and NodeJs/Perl
- Experience with customer facing product application(web and/or apps), reusable UX components using ReactJS and understanding of architectural nuances
- You are a humble and thought technology leader, you lead by example and gain your teammates respect through your actions and not your title;
- Strong people management skills and experience with the ability to deal with complex people issues.
- Strong stakeholder management experience, strong business and technical vision
- Strong work ethic; self-directed and resourceful
- Solution oriented and result driven, Analytical skills and data-driven mindset.
- Ability to multi-task & flexible attitude
- Strong project management skills
- Experience in working on similar type of product(s) that impact customers as our scales;
- You are an excellent communicator and you are able to influence and cooperate with people at all levels,
- You have driven successful technical, business and people related initiatives that improved productivity, performance and quality,
- You have a 'can do' attitude and you act proactively and not reactively,
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field or 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the specialty as equivalent
Full relocation support for you and your family (if the case) to move to Amsterdam - one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe. We have fine-tuned this process by successfully relocating 300+ Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year alone!
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilise technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
We value Diversity of all types and in an open, dynamic workplace. This has been a pillar at Booking.com since day one, and something we continue to strongly believe in and build today.
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
Back to top