It wasn't so long ago that booking a trip to see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York's iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone. In fact, that's what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we're busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more. Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission. We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
With over 1.6 million room nights booked every day, accommodation represents the largest share of our business to date. Our mission is to deliver the best customer experience and the most varied selection of properties.
At Booking.com we combine the best traits of a start-up with the resources of planet Earth's #1 accommodation website. We are working towards creating the ultimate travel experience, building and improving great products for both travellers and the accommodation partners.
As an Engineering Manager for Trip Experience you'll be at the heart of driving the connected trip customer experience by owning an ecosystem of APIs that form the de-facto standard of how trip context is built & shared in Booking.com. Building the foundations for the future, this role requires close collaboration with product and other stakeholders, a long term strategic tech vision and strong technical skills in building & scaling out services that will be used by businesses to deliver the connected trip experience.
In practice, this includes:
- How reservations are connected together into trips, how those trips are named and displayed to customers
- "My Trips" area, where all of customer's trips are displayed and managed
- Standardized UI components for connected trips work flows
- The entire Trip Service ecosystem: the backend services standing behind these features - and powering other teams throughout the company
As a Engineering Manager, you are responsible for an engineering team and the technology that the team owns. You will not only work as a coach for your people but also as a technical leader, ensuring that the right technical decisions are made when building our product.
Important aspects of the job include:
- Lead by example by taking ownership, being proactive and collaborating
- Nurture, grow and develop engineering talent in the team
- Foster a great culture that innovates, work together as a team, partner with other Booking.com com teams and roles and celebrates unified success
- Engineering delivery, quality and practices within own team including delivery management
- Get into the technical detail where required to coach, support and mentor the team
- Adhere to the default principles for Architecture, quality and non-functional requirements
- Contribute to the evolution of best practices across the department
- Drive a culture of ownership and technical excellence, including reactive work such as incident escalations
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and be able to share learning's and apply these to a variety of projects as applicable
- Thought partner for Product to define, shape and deliver the roadmap
- Build new products, processes and operational plans
- Negotiate on the strategic importance of own product roadmap features
- Drive innovation in own team
- Own the architecture across own team
We have found that people who match the following requirements are the ones who fit us best:
- 3+ years of experience leading and managing a team of engineers in a fast-paced and complex environment.
- A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of developing and shipping software.
- Experience with microservice architecture.
- Experience with developing multi-platform customer facing applications (web and mobile) with deep understanding of architectural nuances.
- Experience DevOps practices (SLO/SLIs, CI/CD, automated testing, observability).
- Strong people management skills and experience with the ability to deal with complex people issues.
- Strong stakeholder management experience, strong business and technical vision.
- Solution oriented and result driven, Analytical skills and data-driven mindset.
- Experience in working on similar type of product(s) that impact customers as our scales;
- You are an excellent communicator and you are able to influence and cooperate with people at all levels,
- You have driven successful technical, business and people related initiatives that improved productivity, performance and quality,
- You have a 'can do' attitude and you act proactively and not reactively,
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field or 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the specialty as equivalent
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com