It was not so long ago that booking a trip to see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York's iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone.
In fact, that's what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we're busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more.
Across the world we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.
We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
Engineering Manager - PPC - Performance Marketing
Performance Marketing is responsible for a substantial portion of revenue brought into Booking.com. We are a group composed of world class data scientists, engineers and marketeers and recognized as driving one of the most scalable and adaptive online marketing systems across not just travel but all industries.
As an Engineering Manager and part of this dynamic and highly impactful team you will be collaborating with Product Managers and Engineering Team(s) to align technology vision and requirements with our business goals and strategy. The Engineering Manager manages all activities of engineering scope through the direction of activities, to design new products and modify existing designs, ensuring that deliverables are on time and with acceptable quality. The Engineering Manager is also responsible for creating an environment which helps individuals and teams grow and advance.
You will help define and implement organisational objectives and direction and be responsible for creation of new features with great quality. You will also confer with leaders and key stakeholders to determine engineering feasibility, cost effectiveness, scalability, reliability and time-to-market for new and existing products and services.
- Inspire and motivate 1 or more engineering teams
- Directly manage Engineers in 1 or more teams
- Nurture, grow and develop engineering talent in the team
- Lead by example by taking ownership, being proactive and collaborating
- Foster a great culture that innovates, works together as a team, partners with other Booking.com teams and roles and celebrates unified success
- Build and deliver software applications/services with defined and improving quality practices and processes such as CI/CD and test automation
- Drive definition of done and service level agreements
- Mastery in technology leadership including work methods (e.g. Agile)
- Delivery of the wider Engineering strategic objectives
- Engineering Craftsmanship including coaching and mentoring the team
- Drive a culture of ownership and technical excellence, including on reactive work such as incident management
- Contribute to the evolution of best practices across the department
- Be curious, learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies
- Share expertise and learnings and apply to a variety of projects as applicable
- Provide Architectural Guidance
- Drive innovation in the team
- Thought partner for Product to define, shape and deliver the roadmap
- Stay abreast of business trends, innovations and drivers in paid online marketing
- Collaborate with the team and Product Manager to prioritize the projects and manage stakeholders
- 7+ years of hands on experience with software development
- 3+ of experience in leading multiple teams of engineers in a fast-paced environment
- 3+ years of experience in MySQL, Kafka, BigData technologies (e.g. Cassandra/BigQuery) and cloud platforms (e.g. GCP/AWS)
- Experience building services in Java/Python/Perl
- Experience with unit, integration and end-to-end testing paradigms
- Experience of working on products with high impact to a large customer base company and high service level expectations
- Experience with evolving teams across platforms and technology a plus
- Experience with paid online marketing a plus
- You are a humble and thought leader, lead by example and gain teammates' respect through actions and not your title
- Strong people management skills and experience with the ability to deal with complex people issues
- Strong business and technical vision along with solid delivery skills
- Strong ability to influence and collaborate with people at all levels; excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world-renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work.
- Working in a fast-paced and performance-driven culture, career advancement and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential.
- Training, hackathons and opportunities to travel and attend global conferences.
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the "Booking Deal" including other perks and benefits.
- Company sponsored family and social activities to help our employees become integrated with each other and Dutch culture.
- Headquarters located in one of the most vibrant cities in Europe: Amsterdam.
- Diverse, unique colleagues from every corner of the world.
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.