Engineering Manager - Data Platform
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We're the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we make it easier for everyone to experience the world.
Commercial operations includes Customer Service, Partner Services (our commercial function) and our Content Agency who generate and moderate all onsite text, images and videos. With over 10,000 employees distributed across the globe, Commercial Operations is the human face to both our customers and our suppliers. We are responsible for many of the tools that customers use to manage their own reservations and partners use to grow their businesses. We are there to make it easier for everyone to experience the world.
The Technology department of Commercial Operations owns the customer journey end to end, from the customer facing self service app and web platforms to the support tooling used by our employees. 'Behind the scenes' we run the critical data and ML infrastructure that helps provide the right answer to our customers and partners as if by magic. We leverage machine learning and data to maximise efficiency and reduce friction. We take pride in our resilience and quality, knowing that our goal is to create a platform that serves all our customers the moment they need us the most.
Our Data Platform enables all the products and teams in Commercial Operations technology department to model, monitor, stream and/or batch process their data for analytical consumption. At the same time the team supports the consumers of such data (Data Scientists, ML engineers and analytics teams) to discover and enhance the datasets.
As a Engineering Manager, you are responsible for an engineering team and the technology that the team owns. You will not only work as a coach for your people but also as a technical leader, ensuring that the right technical decisions are made when building our product.
Important aspects of the job include:
- People Leadership
- Lead by example by taking ownership, being proactive and collaborating
- Nurture, grow and develop engineering talent in the team
- Foster a great culture that innovates, work together as a team, partner with other Booking.com com teams and roles and celebrates unified success
- Technology, Craft & Delivery
- Engineering delivery, quality and practices within own team including delivery management
- Get into the technical detail where required to coach, support and mentor the team
- Adhere to the default principles for Architecture, quality and non-functional requirements
- Contribute to the evolution of best practices across the department
- Drive a culture of ownership and technical excellence, including reactive work such as incident escalations
- Design efficient dataflows in complex systems
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and be able to share learning's and apply these to a variety of projects as applicable
- Have a deep knowledge of data engineering, architecture and integration.
- Establish opportunities for insight and observability in systems
- Architecture & Product Strategy
- Thought partner for Product to define, shape and deliver the roadmap
- Build new products, processes and operational plans
- Negotiate on the strategic importance of own product roadmap features
- Drive innovation in own team
- Own the architecture across own team
We have found that people who match the following requirements are the ones who fit us best:
- 3+ years of experience leading and managing a team of engineers in a fast-paced and complex environment.
- A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of developing and shipping software.
- You have strong technical skills (Coding & System design), you can get hands-on with your team if needed.
- You have experience in a data organization, and understand the processes and technologies required in order to server near-real time data and insights at sale.
- Strong people management skills and experience with the ability to deal with complex people issues.
- Strong stakeholder management experience, strong business and technical vision
- Solution oriented and result driven, Analytical skills and data-driven mindset.
- Experience in working on similar type of product(s) that impact customers as our scales;
- You understand the life cycle of data and be driven towards high quality data;
- You are an excellent communicator and you are able to influence and cooperate with people at all levels,
- You have driven successful technical, business and people related initiatives that improved productivity, performance and quality,
- You have a 'can do' attitude and you act proactively and not reactively,
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field or 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the specialty as equivalent
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
Back to top