Engineering Manager - Accommodations - Selection Core Services
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
Engineering Manager - Selection & Supply Tech
It wasn't so long ago that booking a trip to see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York's iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone. In fact, that's what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we're busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more. Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
With over 1.6 million room nights booked every day, accommodation represents the largest share of our business to date. Our mission is to deliver the best customer experience and the most varied selection of properties.
At Booking.com we combine the best traits of a start-up with the resources of planet Earth's #1 accommodation website. We are working towards creating the ultimate travel experience, building and improving great products for both travellers and the accommodation partners.
The Selection and Supply technology organization focuses on providing platform products (web/app/api) for our partners and providers to support the accommodation business. This position is in our Core Services Track, which enables our accommodation partners to be set up for success at Booking.com and deliver a great guest experience. The systems/services serve hundreds of millions requests per day, facilitating the flow of inventory, availability and reservation data.
As an Engineering Manager, you collaborate effectively to align technology vision to our business strategy. You will drive our re-platforming efforts by building performant and reliable services that help product teams innovate faster.
You will manage, coach and develop a team of Senior Engineers, ensuring successful business delivery while maintaining engineering/operational excellence. You will help define and implement organisational objectives and direction and be responsible for creation of new features with great quality. In addition to this, you will confer with leaders and key stakeholders to determine engineering feasibility, cost effectiveness, scalability and time-to-market for new and existing products and services.
- Inspire and motivate multiple engineering teams
- Directly manage Engineers in multiple teams
- Nurture, grow and develop engineering talent in the team
- Building software applications/services
- Continuous Quality and Process Improvement
- Technical Incident Management
- Thought partner for Technology Product Manager to define, shape and deliver the roadmap
- Architectural Guidance
- Drive innovation in own team
- 7+ years of hands on experience in Java; Node'js experience is a plus
- 5+ years of experience in building services and transformation to SOA architecture
- At least five years of experience in leading multiple teams of engineers in a fast-paced environment
- Strong people management skills and experience with the ability to deal with complex people issues
- 3+ years of experience in MySQL, Cassandra, Kafka and AWS Cloud platform
- Strong business and technical vision along with solid delivery skills
- A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of developing and shipping software
- Strong ability to shape, mentor and develop teams
- Strong work ethic; self-directed and resourceful; solution oriented and result driven
- Proactive, flexible and capable of working independently as well as working in a team
- Possess a 'can do' attitude; analytical skills and data-driven mindset
- Strong ability to influence and collaborate with people at all levels; excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or any Engineering discipline, or Mathematics or 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the specialty as equivalent
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe;
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide;
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture;
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit;
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions;
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation;
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com.
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
Back to top