Director of Corporate Technology
Director of Corporate Technology
Established in 1996 in Amsterdam, Booking.com has grown from a small Dutch start-up to the third-largest e-commerce company in the world. Booking.com is the largest business within Booking Holdings (NASDAQ: BKNG) and accounts for the vast majority of Booking Holdings' total revenue. Booking Holdings is a leading Fortune 500 e-commerce conglomerate with a market cap of approximately $80 Billion and revenues of $14.5 Billion (2018). Booking.com currently employs more than 17,000 employees in 214 offices in 70 countries worldwide. With a mission to empower people to experience the world, Booking.com invests in digital technology that helps take the friction out of travel. Booking.com connects travellers with the world's largest selection of incredible places to stay, including everything from apartments, vacation homes, and family-run B&Bs to 5-star luxury resorts, tree houses and even igloos. The Booking.com website and mobile apps are available in over 40 languages, offer more than 28,984,513 total reported listings, and cover 142,259 destinations in 229 countries and territories worldwide. Each day, more than 1,550,000 room nights are reserved on its platform. So whether travelling for business or leisure, customers can instantly book their ideal accommodation quickly and easily with Booking.com, without booking fees and backed up by its promise to price match. Via the customer experience team, customers can reach Booking.com 24/7 for assistance and support in over 40 languages, any time of the day or night.
Financial and Operational Highlights
On 7 August 2019, Booking Holdings announced total revenues for the 2nd quarter of 2019 were $3.9 billion, a 9% increase from the prior year (approximately 14% on a constant-currency basis). Net income in the 2nd quarter was $979 million, which was in line with the prior year.
Director of Corporate Technology
Our mission at Booking.com is to create visionary, innovative, and personalized travel experiences for millions of customers all across the world. We want customers to have an amazing experience wherever and whenever they choose: mobile, web, and through partners and 3rd parties.
To make all this possible, we are committed to providing best-of-class tools environment to be productive for every employee. We have a diversity of teams spanning 150+ offices in over 80 countries. We aim to enable innovation and collaboration with a technology stack to support a global workforce across all disciplines.
We are searching for an experienced and technology driven leader to define and manage the technology that delivers a secure, consistent and productive experience for a global workforce of over 15K employees.
Reports to: CIO
You take full end to end responsibility for your area.
- Set and implement our employee experience strategy, a critical component of our technical foundation.
- Define best practices for identity, network, voice & video, endpoint management, service desk and corporate applications engineering. Create technology, mechanisms, and processes to implement these standards across our product teams.
- Develop a sustainable, high performance organization which listens to the customer needs, bring innovative ideas and technology to the discussion, and mechanisms to deliver on predictable schedules year over year.
- Lead a multi-disciplinary organization and build a strong leadership bench. Coach, develop and mentor.
- Manage the lifecycle for our tools and technologies from launch to deprecation, mapping investments in new technology to business impact and requirements in a highly competitive global travel market.
- Create and manage our strategy for external representation to the worldwide community, helping attract top talent and establishing our technical brand as a leader.
- As a business partner provide a strategic path to the future, through continuous dialogue with key stakeholders aligned with the strategic business priorities.
- Responsible for fiscal planning and for all services.
- Provide expert recommendations and have deep understanding of a technology environment as Booking.com and understands the emerging technologies and changes and understand how to apply this to the risk frameworks
- Has experience in building a culture of compliance through training, discussion, on the job learning etc.
- Industry experience at fast moving, innovative global technology companies; 10+ years of engineering leadership with demonstrated success.
- Experience leading managers and multi-disciplinary teams of technical product managers, and sysadmin functions.
- Experience leading a global service desk.
- Knowledge and curiosity for the latest trends in enterprise technologies, and an understanding of how they are being applied successfully at scale.
- Excellent communication skills; excellent written and verbal proficiency to present complex technical topics to product and business leaders in relevant language to their organizations.
- Degree in Computer Science or a related technical field; Masters or higher preferred.
CRITICAL LEADERSHIP CAPABILITIES:
- Publicly identifies needed changes or directions that need adjustment, challenges assumptions and norms.
- The ability to "think big" and simultaneously understand and appreciate the details necessary to operationalize overarching strategies and goals; The ability to make sense of complex issues and ambiguous situations.
- Challenges assumptions about "the way things are done".
- Communicates explicitly what must change, why changes are necessary, and possible outcomes and costs.
- Adjusts communication style to the audience to help them understand and accept the change.
- Encourages people to support and propose changes and ideas.
Building relationships, Collaborating and Influencing
- Establishes relationships and enhances the levels of cooperation, collaboration, and trust that exist between people, interacting with others personally, competently, and effectively. Establishes relationships inside and outside of the organization. Fosters a culture that makes people feel valued and respected and leverages even difficult or tense circumstances to enhance relationships.
- Negotiates with a genuine give-and-take approach, where both acts as true peers and decisions are shared.
- Spends time identifying all stakeholders necessary and meets or connects with all of them, neglecting no one to shape a collective consensus.
- Identifies opportunities to build relationships that will help others achieve their objectives and reaches out to those people or new people.
- Responds resourcefully, flexibly, and positively when faced with new challenges and demands. Willingly and effectively deals with the stress and complexities of various situations. Moves forward productively under conditions of change or uncertainty
- Demonstrates and fosters a sense of urgency, a "can-do" spirit, a sense of optimism, ownership, and strong commitment to achieving goals and organizational success. Demonstrates a strong sense of ownership and a commitment to achieving meaningful results.
- Checks work of self and others against required quality standards.
- Reviews performance and progress on a regular basis to ensure team is achieving results.
- Tests to see if goals are sufficiently challenging and implements corrective action based on deviations.
OTHER PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Able to function in a fast-moving entrepreneurial environment
- Humble yet confident, with high self-awareness
- A strategic thinker yet focused on execution; able to roll up the sleeves to get things done
- Self-starter with high energy and drive; fast-paced and results-driven; forward-thinking
- Experimental, ready to learn and open to change
- Keep the customer at the centre of everything you do
- Good cultural and organizational sensitivity
- Committed to building a diverse, inclusive work environment
Reward philosophy - designed to give you the best 'deal' possible :
- Opportunity to grow professionally and to shape the future of the global travel industry
- A high-scale, complex, world-renowned product
- See the real-time impact of your work
- Smart, driven colleagues and a fast-paced, performance-driven culture
- Great headquarters in Amsterdam, one of Europe's most cosmopolitan cities
- Scope for rapid career development, continuous training and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and great added perks
Back to top