Data Product Manager - Data Products
About the company
It wasn't so long ago that booking a trip to see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York's iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone.
In fact, that's what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we're busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more.
Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.
We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
Booking.com core values
- Think customer first
- Succeed together
- Own It
- Learn Forever
- Do the Right Thing
The Trips Data & Science team at Booking.com look after our core data warehousing, data management and machine learning functionality for transport and attractions, enabling teams across the organisation to understand and manage our business performance and improve the experience of our customers.
The role of a Data Product Manager within the team is to:
- Be the domain expert from a data requirements, product and management perspective
- Help set the vision, strategy and direction for the team
- Liaise with key stakeholders to understand their data needs and shape solutions to delight
- Ensure the data team has well defined epics and stories, and that these are delivered to meet the needs of our customers
- Keep stakeholders up to date with progress
- Advocate for best data practices and management in the wider organisation
Data Product Managers work with a product delivery team to drive the rapid and robust delivery of amazing products for our customers. We are looking for a highly motivated Data Product Manager who thrives in a fast paced, collaborative environment and who is driven by delivering high quality data solutions to enable analytics, data science and product teams to support business growth. You will be responsible for delivering products that advance data excellence and innovation within your product team, and across the business, helping us shape Booking.com's Transport data journey.
Where does this role sit in the company? You will be a part of the Trips Business Unit of Booking.com and work within the 'Data and Science' Product Family (within which your team is located). As part of a tech company growing quickly, high performers can expect extensive opportunities for progression and development.
What will the role entail?
You will design, develop and implement data products and solutions based on user needs and the company's product strategy and vision. You'll actively drive the data product strategy and direction by deeply understanding user needs and by working closely with data customers, developers, analysts, researchers, product managers, architects and others. We are looking for someone passionate about driving benefit through provision of reliable, accurate data systems and products to enable insight and data driven decision making, who can lead a team in transforming our data capabilities as we transition from our current platforms to an integrated cloud environment.
We expect you'll be deeply committed to solving user (analyst, partner and/or other users) pain points and identifying opportunities to improve their experience both on our existing and future data platforms. Data driven insight will be necessary to inform product direction, whether in the form of competitive intelligence, platform, user, or other business metrics.
This is primarily an individual contributor role, where it is possible to coach and mentor others depending on skills, experience, development plans and business needs.
- Take ownership of gathering requirements by working with cross functional teams to deliver data solutions on the current data estate, and our future integrated cloud data platform.
- Elicit, analyse and document processes, data flows and models
- Facilitate workshops to expose stories, identify acceptance criteria and construct backlogs
- Collect, understand, and communicate the business data requirements for Products and Services by translating them into user stories and acceptance criteria
- Manage the release backlog and work with delivery teams to keep it up to date and efficient
- Gather, analyse, and report on usage and quality of data to benchmark and measure the performance of the product
- Ensure that the appropriate solution and data governance, compliance and resilience is built into solutions
- You must have a clear sense of ownership and maintain the highest quality across the solutions you produce
- Adhere to the default principles for architecture, quality and non-functional requirements
- Collaborate with the team and others to deliver high quality solutions
- Contribute to the evolution of best practices of the department
- Write, review and take responsibility for clear, concise and comprehensive technical documentation
We are looking for a superb and enthusiastic Data Product Manager to work on our Data platform - You will be working with our product teams, architects and principals to shape the future of this core platform capability and transition the business and users smoothly. We expect you to have strong analytical skills, understand technology and be able to collaborate with stakeholders across the organisation.
- 3-5 years experience working as a Product Manager in data management or closely related area
- Rich experience of modelling and improving system workflows, components and data models
- Experience of proven success in data transformation and warehousing
- Robust business analysis skills, techniques including writing user stories, acceptance criteria and documenting technical requirements
- Experience completing excellent product discovery
- Proficient in working within an Agile product-based organisation
- Experience communicating concepts and ideas to stakeholders at all levels within organisations
- Able to plan and prioritise effectively, comfortable with ambiguity, able to flex when plans change
- Confident personality to influence decision-making at all levels within an organisation
- Ability to simplify complex problems into component parts and evaluate systematically
- Evidence of problem solving and providing creative solutions with proven impact
- Experience of working with data and SQL
- Experience with with Cloud Data Platforms, migrations and integration
- Experience of working with/as data customers in analytics, data science, economics, finance
- Understanding of monitoring and analytical tools such as Kibana and Grafana
- Deep understanding of e-commerce and travel business models
- 25 vacation days (rising to 28) to go exploring
- Generous accommodation discount, so you can explore for less
- Bonus package
- Pension with up to 10% matched company contribution
- Huge learning and development platform tailored to you
- Shopping and leisure discounts through Perkbox
- Interest free travel loans/discounted car parking
- Competitive maternity/paternity/adoption leave
- Flexible working, including working from home
- Wellbeing focus, with weekly onsite yoga
- Mental health first-aiders and free face-to-face support