Backend Software Developer - Segments - Accommodations
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We're the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
With over 1.6 million room nights booked every day, Accommodation represents the largest share of our business to date. We are responsible for accommodation growth, with clear ownership of all marketing, product and supply related to accommodations. Our mission is to deliver the best customer experience and most varied selection of properties.
As a Software Developer at Booking, you are responsible for the development, performance, and scaling of our public website as well as internal systems. You will work independently and will also be responsible for making technical decisions within a team.
In the Segments teams you will:
- Build products to address the needs of our partners and customers,
- Optimise our existing products
- Contribute to our modernization efforts by transitioning to service-oriented architecture where applicable.
Important aspects of the job include:
- Rapidly developing next-generation scalable, flexible, and high-performance systems.
- Solving issues with the site and internal systems, prioritizing based on customer impact
- Acting as an intermediary for problems, with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Testing; we run thousands of experiments running at one time. We built one of the most advanced A/B testing platforms in the industry.
- Most products are developed in Perl, but not all. Perl is very effective when it comes to rapid prototyping, which our product development teams do a lot of. It's not necessary to know Perl before you start, but it helps. We are not just using the language, we influence the future of the language.
- Contributing to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts
We are looking for driven Developers who enjoy solving problems, who initiate solutions and discussions and who believe that any challenge can be scaled with the right mindset and tools.
We have found that people who match the following requirements are the ones who fit us best:
- Minimum of 5 years software development experience; using 2 or more server side programming languages. Preferably Perl, Java, Python, Scala, C++ etc.
- Previous experience with distributed systems
- Hands on experience of developing in and contributing to open source data technologies, such as Hadoop
- Demonstrable experience with MySQL and PostgreSQL or similar relational databases
- Experience of working on products that impact a large customer base is an advantage
- Preferably a university degree in Mathematics or Software Engineering
- Excellent communication; written and spoken
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
Back to top