Backend Software Developer - Connectivity Chains - Accommodation Tech
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
It wasn't so long ago that booking a trip to see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York's iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone. In fact, that's what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we're busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more. Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
With over 1.6 million room nights booked every day, accommodation represents the largest share of our business to date. Our mission is to deliver the best customer experience and the most varied selection of properties.
At Booking.com we combine the best traits of a start-up with the resources of planet Earth's #1 accommodation website. We are working towards creating the ultimate travel experience, building and improving great products for both travellers and the accommodation partners.
About the area - Segments - Connectivity Chains
Our products & services are available on Web, Mobile and API platforms, and span across various supply aspects of Booking.com accommodation business - from inventory acquisition to displaying rooms to our customers. The Connectivity Chains team focus on establishing a robust and scalable product foundation with our Chains Partners that account for 28% of our current business. Our primary goals is to remove Chains operational pain points, optimise their rates & availability setup as well as strengthen the product adoption with Global Chains. You will be responsible for building and monitoring new services, integrating with Chains partner systems and collaborating with service teams in the accommodation department to achieve business goals while ensuring operational & engineering excellence.
- Design, build, and monitor high scalable services to solve business needs.
- Solve business problems, work and collaborate with an engineering team & product manager to build scalable systems and services to achieve business goals.
- Take initiative to address the larger technical needs of the product you work on and always keep the customer at the center of everything you do,
- Contribute to the growth of Booking.com through recruitment efforts.
- Represent Booking.com values, both within the company and in the external community,
- Advocate for a collaborative working environment - turn "my ideas" into "our ideas"
- Minimum of 5 years software development experience, including experience with Object Oriented Programming;
- Previous experience with distributed systems
- Having experience with Protobuf, Kafka, Maven, Docker, and Kubernetes is a plus,
- Demonstrable experience with MySQL and PostgreSQL or similar relational databases
- You are passionate about engineering excellence and bring experience with Test-Driven Development, Continuous Integration, cloud-first mindset,
- Hands on experience of developing in and contributing to open source data technologies, such as Hadoop
- Preferably a university degree in Mathematics or Software Engineering
- You have driven successful technical and business related initiatives that improved productivity, performance and quality,
- You have a 'can do' attitude and you act proactively and not reactively,
- Excellent communication; written and spoken
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
Back to top