It was not so long ago that booking a trip to see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York's iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone.
In fact, that's what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we're busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more.
Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.
We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
Backend Developer Partnerships
We are recruiting to our Partnerships department, which is responsible for Booking.com's white labels, co-brand products, external API, and corporate travel. Tech teams work closely with commercial and operations teams in order to combine extensive data (both qualitative and quantitative) with direct feedback from customers to create tailored products for each of our customer verticals.
As a Back End Developer, you are responsible for the development, performance, and scaling of our public website as well as internal systems. You will work independently and will also be responsible for making technical decisions within a team.
Important aspects of the job include:
- Rapidly developing next-generation scalable, flexible, and high-performance systems.
- Solving issues with the site and internal systems, prioritizing based on customer impact
- Acting as an intermediary for problems, with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Testing; we run thousands of experiments running at one time. We built one of the most advanced A/B testing platforms in the industry.
- Contributing to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts
We are looking for driven Developers who enjoy solving problems, who initiate solutions and discussions and who believe that any challenge can be scaled with the right mindset and tools.
We have found that people who match the following requirements are the ones who fit us best:
- Minimum of 3 years software development experience; using 2 or more server side programming languages. Preferably Perl, Java, Python, Scala, C++ etc.
- Previous experience with distributed systems
- Hands on experience of developing in and contributing to open source data technologies, such as Hadoop
- Demonstrable experience with MySQL and PostgreSQL or similar relational databases
- Experience of working on products that impact a large customer base is an advantage
- Preferably a university degree in Mathematics or Software Engineering
- Excellent communication; written and spoken
- Headquarters located in one of the most dynamic cities in Europe: Amsterdam
- Performance-based company that offers 29 vacation days, career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the "Booking Deal" including other perks and benefits
- Company-sponsored family and social activities to help our employees become integrated with each other and Dutch culture
- Diverse and creative colleagues from every corner of the world
- Generous relocation package, ensuring a smooth transition to working and living in Amsterdam