Senior iOS/Android Software Engineer
Work with the Brightest Minds - Create what Matters
The BMW Group Technology Office USA (https://tinyurl.com/y3p39af4) is the gem at the heart of the BMW Group's research and engineering efforts. Of the 130,000 Group employees worldwide, less than 70 employees get to work in the heart of Silicon Valley on confidential projects core to BMW's future plans in connected, electric, and autonomous mobility. The distance and the nine-hour time difference to our BMW Munich headquarters means we have a high degree of flexibility; Interdisciplinary collaborations within the office or with national and international teams are just as likely as independent contributions to product development back in Munich, Germany.
The Digital Life Innovations team creates ambitious infotainment solutions and digital services that connect drivers with their car. By focusing our efforts on modern software development, we build custom BMW experiences and collaborate with major tech companies. Until the car is a natural and effortless extension of our drivers and their digital needs, we are not done.
- Build tangible, exciting show cases, early prototypes and customer-ready applications backed by a larger, highly-skilled and motivated software engineering team
- Spearhead software engineering topics in collaborations with major tech companies
- Explore ambitious apps and services on 3rd party ecosystems such as Android Automotive and Projection UIs, e.g. Apple CarPlay
- Inspire the larger development team with ideas and technical knowhow
- Play an essential role in bringing our vision for future interaction on the road, e.g. Augmented Reality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyj0t-GUJhs
- Apply Machine Learning/Computer Vision frameworks (Core ML, ML Kit) for new in-vehicle use cases
- Drive the software development through entire lifecycle: architecture, implementation, debugging and maintenance
- Drive partnerships and collaborations with international engineering teams (USA, Europe, Asia)
- Present our innovations to executive management as well as externally
Qualifications and experience
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field (Master's Degree Preferred)
- 5+ years professional software development experience
- 3+ years experience in Android and/or iOS development
- 1+ year experience in a technical lead role
- Proficiency in core programming languages like Swift, Kotlin, Objective-C, Java
- Prototyping experience on emerging platforms, e.g. Augmented Reality/Virtual Reality, Assistant platforms, new programming languages, early beta SDKs, etc.
- Eagerness to stay on top of and push latest technologies and engineering methodologies and proven experience in quickly acquiring new technical skillsets
- Experience in coordinating development in a distributed engineering setup and excited to travel occasionally to our national and international process partners
- Excellent communication skills and experience with collaborating with external partners
- Conscientious, responsible, self-motivated, ability to work independently and as a part of a team
Plus, if ...
- you have experience in AR/VR/MR frameworks, e.g. ARKit, ARCore
- you have experience in infotainment software, e.g. AOSP / Android Automotive
- you enjoy tinkering with prototyping hardware and have hands-on experience
- Experience in web development, MEAN stack, etc.
- you have a track record taking a new idea to market
- you're passionate about automotive
What we offer
- Flexible, open work culture with freedom to experiment and implement your ideas
- Work with some of the brightest minds in Electric Mobility, Autonomous Driving, Experience Design and Software Engineering
- Collaboration opportunities with major tech companies to build revolutionary products
- Phenomenal Employee Car Lease Program - always drive the latest BMW or MINI vehicle and experience your work in the car
- Opportunities to grow your skillset with trainings, access to developer conferences, etc.
- Close link with BMW's Venture group in the same building with access to early startups and ideas
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance; 401(k) Savings Plan and Retirement Income Account
BMW NA is an EO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Back to top