Job Title: VFX Artist (Associate to Senior) - Unannounced Project
Requisition ID: R005486
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an exceptional VFX artists to help us push the vision of our gaming efforts. As a VFX artist, you'll use your experience working with 3D packages and in-game FX systems to create a wide range of visual effects for both characters and environments. An understanding of how good gameplay marries with exceptional visuals is valuable as you jam with designers, engineers, and artists to develop exciting new characters that pop off the screen thanks to your experience in creating the textures and geometry needed for stylized VFX.
Do you have experience working with 3D packages, in-game FX systems to create a wide range of VFX (like fire, smoke, magic, electricity, and explosions), as well as a general understanding of good gameplay communication? Do you also have an understanding of the principles of motion, anticipation, dynamics, follow-through, lighting, and other facets of animation? If so, we need you!
If you're ready to work alongside a team of the some of the best artists, engineers, designers, and producers on the planet and enjoy the support of a company whose culture is all about collaborative game development, we want to hear from you!
- Creation of handcrafted visual effects to be used in real-time game assets.
- Technical setup, integration, and troubleshooting of VFX in a real-time game engine.
- Work with lead artists to ensure timely completion of VFX assets.
- Serve as an active participant in team art discussions, critiques, and reviews.
- Experience creating real-time special FX for video games.
- Experience with crafting consistent, eye-catching, real-time FX using Photoshop, Maya, and in-game FX systems.
- Able to paint stylized FX textures from scratch, matching an established style.
- Proficient with flip book-style animated FX.
- Proficient with 3D graphics, particle systems, physics, ribbons, etc.
- Working knowledge of rendering engines.
- Game design awareness and a game design-oriented collaborator.
- Self-driven, and an excellent communicator.
- Avid player of all kinds of games, from AAA to mobile.
- Mobile game development experience.
- Previously shipped AAA mobile, PC, or console titles as a VFX artist.
- Experience authoring custom materials and graphics shaders.
- Scripting experience in Lua, Python, etc.
- Skill in one or more related disciplines, like illustration, modeling, animation, or technical art.
- Understanding of Blizzard's visual style and a dream to push it to the next level.
- Portfolio of work in digital format (website, blog, online album, Dropbox, etc.). Physical media will not be accepted
- Cover letter (optional)