- Irvine, CA
Job Title: VFX Artist
Requisition ID: R002194
Arcane Explosion and Ancient Healing! Claw and Cleave! Bane of Doom! The Hearthstone team is looking for an FX artist to create evocative visual effects in the fun and whimsical style that is synonymous with Hearthstone. You'll develop real time FX from concept to implementation and work to maintain a consistent aesthetic across all the FX in the game. The ideal candidate has a strong grasp of color, texture, shape and timing as relates to FX and a real passion for gameplay and storytelling.
Do you have experience working with in-game FX systems and 3D packages to build everything from fire, slime, and magic to pack openings and legendary summons, as well as a general understanding of good gameplay communication? Do you also have a deep understanding of the principles of anticipation, follow-though, staging, and other facets of animation? If so, we need you!
If you're ready to work alongside a team of the best artists, engineers, designers, and producers on the planet and enjoy the support of a company whose culture is all about collaborative game development, we want to hear from you!
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We've transitioned to a work-from-home model and we're continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person's circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Creation of handcrafted visual effects to be used in real-time game assets.
- Technical setup, implementation, and troubleshooting of VFX in Unity.
- Work with lead artists to ensure timely completion of fabulous VFX assets.
- Serve as an active participant in team art discussions, critiques, and reviews.
- Experience with crafting consistently charming, eye-catching, real-time effects (FX) using Photoshop, Maya, and in-game FX systems.
- Minimum 3 years in the games industry, AAA game experience preferred.
- Proven game design awareness and an exceptional game design-oriented collaborator.
- Superior eye for lighting, value, color, details, and the ability to use them in creating beautiful visual effects that support gameplay.
- Self-motivation, excellent interpersonal skills, and able to work within a team.
- Positive attitude and able to receive and provide objective feedback.
- Passion for crafting charming and light-hearted imagery synonymous with Hearthstone.
- A passion for games.
- Experience creating real-time, in-game VFX for a variety of platforms from desktop to mobile.
- Familiarity with the Unity game engine.
- Technical skills such as experience shader authoring, scripting, or working with FSMs such as PlayMaker.
- Previous game production experience.
Application & Portfolio Materials
- Cover Letter (optional)
- Portfolio demonstrating relevant artistic skills required
- Only online submissions will be accepted (e.g. website, blog, or online album)
- Must be willing to complete an art test if required to do so
Job Status: Fulltime
Primary Location: United States-CA-Irvine
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work/life balance. We've worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences...ever. Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top