UNIX Systems Engineer
Are you a UNIX geek stuck in the body of a corporate IT drone? When you find a system performance problem do you reach for the kernel source code before google.com? Have you ever stumped third level support from a major Linux distribution vendor? Can you kickstart 50 servers at once while writing a Python script in another screen? Is your home PC a Linux machine with a RAID?
Do you have a passion to help Blizzard Entertainment games remain the best in the world?
If this sounds like you, read on...
Blizzard Entertainment is seeking a talented systems engineer to join our Infrastructure Engineering team. The ideal candidate has an intimate understanding of the deployment and tuning of Linux systems, as well as software development skills to automate and improve processes in a large (10,000+) server infrastructure. The individual must also be able to work with little guidance, and be comfortable in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment.
- Design environments according to project requirements.
- Perform system performance tuning and administration.
- Research new technologies including software and hardware, based on business requirements.
- Manage and gather statistical trending data for capacity planning.
- Assist developers in implementing changes in non-production environments.
- Follow procedures identified by SOX and PCI standards.
- Document operational processes and procedures.
- Mentor system administrators and technicians.
- Participate in production support and in on-call duties.
- A minimum of 3 years’ system administration experience
- A mastery of Linux. This means: you know why things work on a Linux system, not just how to configure them.
- A deep understanding in all of our favorite 3 and 4 letter IT words; NTP, NFS, DNS, DHCP, SMTP, etc.
- Experience administering CentOS/RedHat Linux
- Expertise with configuration management (we use Puppet)
- Able to write scripts in some administrative language (Python, Perl, Shell)
- Strong performance troubleshooting skills
- Able to read and perform debugging of C/C++/Java programs. Being able to write programs in these languages is even better!
- Familiarity with OpenStack and/or EC2
- Experience with AMQP (RabbitMQ)
- A degree in computer science or a related field
- Able to play the lead role in projects
Meet Some of Blizzard Entertainment's Employees
Lead Environment Artist
As a lead environment artist, Ely guides his team of artists as they flesh out and paint the organic elements that compose the landscapes throughout World of Warcraft.
Back to top