Sr Product Design Manager
The Product Design Manager is responsible for overseeing and guiding user experience designers, visual designers, and artists. You will work with your team to develop standardized ways to execute, such as defining an efficient process to work with stakeholders, program managers, engineers, and quality assurance by setting standards for our deliverables, and defining milestones to better track progress of scoping and creation of design and art assets.
You should be seeking ways to continually improve your team, its tools and processes, its collaboration with other teams, and ensuring that the team is operating as efficiently as it can. This includes assessing the capabilities of your team members, helping to define their individual work standards, setting goals, motivating and mentoring them, reviewing progress both with individuals and management, doing any necessary coaching and counseling, and delivering performance appraisals.
You will work closely with department heads and our program managers to make sure that the overall direction of the department is reflected in the performance, behavior, and training of each person.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with program management, engineering, user experience and visual design to ensure a smooth product development process
- Provide guidance to team members regarding the following:
- Team processes (fostering collaboration between both internal groups and with stakeholders).
- Staying abreast of application design trends in industry.
- Responsible for leading the product design practice by applying user-centered design methods to frame and deliver the experience of the products for mobile, tablet, desktop, and web
- Responsible for defining the art direction and overall look and feel of the UI
- Create documentation to communicate designs and research results to stakeholders
- Provide mentoring and career development for direct reports.
- Facilitate opportunities for cross-disciplinary and interdepartmental learning and knowledge sharing.
- Recruit new designers and actively participate in the hiring process
- Plan and secure relevant training and professional development for the team.
- Work with program managers, engineering managers and customer service key players to identify additional needs that the product design team can help address.
- Assist in the evolution and improvement of intra- and inter-team standards and processes.
- Degree in art, design, or equivalent professional training
- Expert level proficiency in interaction design and at least one or more of the following design disciplines: user research, visual design, or front-end development
- Ability to manage expectations with senior leaders and project stakeholders to help shape, define, and manage ongoing communication throughout the project lifecycle
- Experience managing a team
- Passion for coaching and mentoring creative team members
- Experience and expertise in high-level product strategy
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail
- Exceptional organizational and analytical skills
- Knowledge of agile software development, lean methodologies, and how product design fits into this
- A team player, able to build relationships and collaborate with partner teams
- Interest in innovation and continually learns new technologies and design skills/methods within the digital space
- Familiarity with design test methodologies
- Obsessive about delivering and following through
Meet Some of Blizzard Entertainment's Employees
Lead Environment Artist
As a lead environment artist, Ely guides his team of artists as they flesh out and paint the organic elements that compose the landscapes throughout World of Warcraft.
Back to top