Sr. Data Scientist, Global Insights - NLP
Within the Blizzard Entertainment ecosystem, our players are constantly communicating with each other and with us. Our Global Insights team is seeking a senior data scientist specializing in natural language processing to help us develop scalable solutions for understanding the evolving conversations about and within our games.
The ideal candidate has a strong technical background in natural language processing, machine learning, artificial intelligence, or a related quantitative field and has the ability to carry out innovative research and development using advanced statistical modeling techniques.
- Research and develop state-of-the-art machine learning, data mining and statistical modeling solutions to understand player behavior, with particular regards to how players communicate within our games and ecosystem.
- Analyze and extract key insights and patterns from Blizzard's rich collections of petabytes of gameplay and operational data.
- Design and develop innovative solutions to problems such as forum sentiment analysis, document clustering, topic identification, and toxicity classification.
- Work closely with data and systems engineers to deploy and maintain models seamlessly on production systems.
- Establish scalable, automated processes for large scale data extraction, model development, model validation and model implementation.
- Effectively translate findings into actionable recommendations for senior leaders on game design and business teams.
- Mentor PhD data science interns on model design, feature building, model evaluation and deployment.
- PhD from a top-tier university with a specialization in Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, Statistics, Applied Math, or in a related quantitative field
- Expertise in machine learning and statistical analysis, with particular emphasis on natural language processing, including part-of-speech tagging, topic analysis, text classification, document clustering, word-embedding, and language parsing.
- Able to invent and prototype novel machine learning algorithms from scratch
- A minimum of 3 years’ hands-on applied research experience developing and implementing machine learning models on large scale data sets
- Expertise in automating and deploying models in production systems
- Strong problem solving skills
- Proficient with programming languages like Python, Java or C++
- Strong programming and prototyping skills in R or MATLAB
- Expertise with SQL, MPP and NoSQL databases
- Expertise with Big Data and Hadoop tech stack (HDFS / Map Reduce / Mahout / Hive / Spark)
- Experience with data visualization tools like Tableau
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
- Passion for video games
- Experience with Blizzard Entertainment games
- Experience mentoring junior scientists or PhD interns
- A proven track record of original contributions to machine learning and statistics
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Blizzard
- What games you are currently playing
**Only submittals with Cover Letters will be considered.
Meet Some of Blizzard Entertainment's Employees
Lead Environment Artist
As a lead environment artist, Ely guides his team of artists as they flesh out and paint the organic elements that compose the landscapes throughout World of Warcraft.
Back to top