Software Engineer, Tools
“Dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever.”
That’s our mission statement here at Blizzard Entertainment, and for a tools engineer on the World of Warcraft (WoW) team, it’s a way of life.
In this role, you’ll improve existing tools and create new tools that will enable some of the most talented designers and artists in the world to ply their craft freely and directly. As such, you must be proficient in developing powerful programs for designer and artist content creation pipelines.
The WoW team is built on a culture of collaboration, intense creativity, and problem solving. As a group, we are committed to pushing our exploration of Azeroth to the fullest, and in doing so creating a gaming experience like no other. As a tools engineer, the work you do will live at the very heart of this philosophy. We’re looking for an engineer with qualities above and beyond engineering. We want a person that enjoys working in a group setting; who speaks artist, designer, and geek with equal fluency, and whose experience in creative environments has reinforced the value of communications, empathy, and knowledge sharing.
- Design and implement development tools for all disciplines.
- Communicate with other departments within the team to improve existing tools and determine new solutions.
- Maintain tools for performance, stability, and error-free operation.
- Identify and resolve pipeline issues and discover opportunities for improvement.
- Passion for tool development -- enabling others to have the best tools available
- Advanced understanding of C/C++
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in application programming
- Experience developing Windows GUI applications using MFC, or another windowing toolkit such as wxWindows or Qt
- Strong mathematics skills
- Able to communicate and collaborate well with non-technical users, including artists and designers
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment
- Service-oriented attitude with an eye for efficiency
- Strong debugging skills
- Advanced understanding of game content pipeline and tools
- Strong experience with SQL databases -- database design, query design, and programming language bindings
- Experience with modern source control systems, such as Subversion, Git, or Perforce
- Detailed knowledge of 3D graphics and math, animation, camera control, and lighting
- Modern C++ skills, such as STL, templates, and lambda usage
- Experience shipping multiple game titles
- User interface (UI) design experience
- Legendary debugging skills – you have a very particular set of skills, and you will find bugs, and you will kill them.
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Blizzard
- What games you are currently playing
**Only submittals with Cover Letters will be considered.
Meet Some of Blizzard Entertainment's Employees
Lead Environment Artist
As a lead environment artist, Ely guides his team of artists as they flesh out and paint the organic elements that compose the landscapes throughout World of Warcraft.
Back to top