Senior Systems Engineer
- Irvine, CA
Job Title: Senior Systems Engineer
Requisition ID: R003312
Blizzard Entertainment's Story and Franchise Development (SFD) systems team is looking for a talented Senior Systems Engineer to aid in supporting SFD's infrastructure. SFD is the Blizzard team responsible for the ground breaking Cinematic, Sound and Story experiences in support of Blizzard games. You should be proficient in the troubleshooting, installation, configuration, operation, and maintenance of various middleware infrastructure and enterprise applications in a large enterprise environment geared toward Visual Effects production. You should have in-depth experience in related infrastructure including virtualization environments, enterprise storage, networking and cloud computing infrastructure.
You will also serve as a key resource on projects, working directly with project leads to implement solutions and complete tasks associated with the support of SFD. You will perform day to day operational duties and be an escalation point for other support teams when needed.
This role requires interaction with other Blizzard support and development teams, therefore amazing collaborative and interpersonal skills are required as well as a desire for delivering great customer service.
- Leads the day-to-day operation support for server, storage and network infrastructures.
- Develop and maintain Puppet code to help with automation of deployment and maintenance of all systems under the purview of SFD.
- Develop and maintain SFD's CI/CD infrastructure.
- Create, support and maintain SFD's deployment and pipeline packaging system.
- Investigate and solve issues to identify root cause to implement recurrence prevention plans.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Oversee and communicate with impacted users.
- Perform complex software and operating system upgrades and track system licensing.
- Develop and maintain installation, design and configuration procedures and documentation.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated, approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled tasks.
- Perform performance reporting to support capacity planning and hardware lifecycle planning.
- Participate in an on-call rotation, providing 24/7 support for all responsible systems during such a rotation.
- Provide professional and responsive communication to the user, project management, and management inquiries via phone, email, slack and Zoom.
- Provides technical guidance and assistance to other IS Engineers and IS Administrators.
- Provide guidance to customers and team members on Systems related technologies in the form of consultations, architecture and design proposals and reviews.
- Follow existing incident, problem, release, crisis and change management processes as well as provide feedback to improve said processes.
- A minimum of 10 years' experience with enterprise systems engineering
- Proficient with Linux OS including hands on experience with system installation / configuration, file concepts, resource monitoring, package management, and process control /management
- Proficient in coding using Python.
- Proficient in cloud and container technology (Docker, Kubernetes, GCP, AWS).
- Expert knowledge in the installation, management, configuration and maintenance of enterprise scale Linux/Windows installations.
- Expert knowledge in the installation, management, configuration and maintenance of CI/CD systems.
- Expert knowledge with Puppet infrastructure and the ability to write complex Puppet Code
- Deep understanding of application monitoring and metrics
- Deep understanding of Windows/Linux security standard methodologies
- Knowledge of networking principles and applications/technologies (e.g., TCP / UDP protocols, iSCSI, DNS, DHCP, GPO services)
- Knowledge of virtualization technologies such as VMWare, Hyper-V
- Knowledge of SAN and NAS principles, experience deploying and maintaining various enterprise level storage solutions
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- Highly motivated and driven, capable of working with little instruction to resolve demanding tasks, as well as work with internal teams
- Experience working in an enterprise datacenter environment
- Able (and willing) to lift a minimum of 70 lbs.
- A degree in computer science or a related field
- Experience in Visual Effects
- Experience with installation, configuring and maintaining Terraform
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code
- Experience with monitoring tools such as Sensu, Nagios or equivalent
- Certification in Microsoft Technologies (MCSE), in particular, Server Infrastructure
- Understanding of ITIL framework and processes
- A passion for video games
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter (optional)
Job Status: Full time /Staff
Blizzard Entertainment has been rated by Fortune as one of the "Best Places to Work" for several years running (and our ranking continues to rise!). We are a community of 4000 global employees who are passionate about not only gaming, but entertainment and the technology that drives our users experience. Our goal is to delight our customers by never settling for anything but the highest quality and providing worlds filled with creativity and adventure around every corner. You are forward-thinking, engaging, eager to learn and ready to make an impact. We've been waiting for you!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top