Senior Software Engineer, Video Platform
Major League Gaming, a division of Activision Blizzard, is a worldwide leader in esports and serves as the operational foundation, partnership hub, and media production network for the Overwatch League and Call of Duty World League.
We are seeking a driven, passionate engineer to play a critical role in developing products that are key to the long-term strategic vision for the company. Our new engineer will exemplify a proactive, self-motivated and focused thinker who takes pride in well-architected code and delivering knock-out products to serve a global esports audience.
As a member of the MLG and Blizzard team, you will work alongside passionate, knowledgeable and experienced teammates to help continue building on our history of success in esports!
- Collaborate on development of solutions to facilitate live broadcasts of major esports and corporate events
- Collaborate in a multidisciplinary team leading up to each event to develop scope, requirements, budgets and suite of solutions
- Interface with outside partners and vendors on venue services, stream hand-off, and distribution platforms
- Coordinate a team of encoder engineers, IT staff, and operations/support personnel leading up to, and during the course of a live event
- Troubleshoot and support the servers, applications and configuration of MLG.tv video transcoding workflow platform
- Accountability for the onsite operation of in-venue control room, oversight of load-in, execution, load-out
- Template work efforts to maintain consistency in quality and generate reproducible live product and event keeping an eye out for automation of these solutions
- Develop and enhance software platforms for video delivery, broadcast automation, and playback
- Work with IT to develop next generation broadcast solutions for MLG’s permanent venues
- Continually train rotational resources for live event operations - both in-venue and remote
- Research emerging software and hardware trends to improve stability, reduce costs, and offer unique functionality for streams out of MLG live events
- 4+ years of hands-on experience with video encoding hardware and software
- 3+ years Embedded and mobile application development experience (Java/Objective C/C/Assembly)
- Experience running live internet-distributed broadcasts with sizable audiences
- Deep understanding of the entire live streaming architecture from source to playback
- Program management experience, especially around live event broadcast prep and operation
- Proficiency in video CODEC landscape, tools to encode/decode/analyze video
- Deep familiarity with web technology stack and tools to troubleshoot live web sites
- BS degree in computer/engineering field
- MS in computer/engineering field
- Cover letter
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Meet Some of Blizzard Entertainment's Employees
Lead Environment Artist
As a lead environment artist, Ely guides his team of artists as they flesh out and paint the organic elements that compose the landscapes throughout World of Warcraft.
Back to top