Senior Software Engineer, Server (Matchmaking)
Members of the Overwatch team are passionate gamers at heart - driven to make the most fun and compelling experiences for our players. We spend our days collaborating and iterating on everything that goes into the game: from placing health packs to dreaming up the craziest “Play of the Game” animations. Our goal is to always surprise and delight our players. We believe in maximum transparency and communication at the team level and with the people who play our game. This philosophy, along with the Blizzard values of “Gameplay First” and “Play Nice, Play Fair,” has made Overwatch one of Blizzard's most successful games, and it has forged a bond of trust with our worldwide player community that is extremely important to us.
Our team is looking for a talented Senior Server Engineer to join in the development of our matchmaking and ranking systems.
- Design, implement and maintain player matchmaking and ranking features for Overwatch
- Work side-by-side with QA, design, production and other engineers to solve some of our most complex problems
- Architect features to improve matchmaking performance, accuracy and scalability
- Support and improve the live matchmaking service
- Undertake research to acquire new knowledge necessary to perform assigned tasks and maintain a process of technological evolution, especially in the matchmaking space
- Mentor and educate engineers on the team
- A minimum of 5 years’ relevant work experience
- Shipped at least one AAA title as a sever engineer, ideally working on matchmaking and ranking systems
- Advanced understanding of C / C++
- Meticulous attention to detail with a zero-bug philosophy
- Solid understanding of statistical mathematics
- Prior development work on distributed systems and client/server architectures
- Extensive networking experience
- Knowledge of network and server security issues
- Linux / Unix experience
- Excellent communications skills
- Self-motivated, strong sense of independence
- Passion for matchmaking, ranking and progression in video games, especially FPS games
- A degree in computer science, or a related field
- Database experience (Relational or NoSQL)
- Enthusiastic about working in a collaborative DevOps environment
- Previous experience mentoring software engineers
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Meet Some of Blizzard Entertainment's Employees
Lead Environment Artist
As a lead environment artist, Ely guides his team of artists as they flesh out and paint the organic elements that compose the landscapes throughout World of Warcraft.
Back to top