Senior Software Engineer, Server
Senior Software Engineer, Server
Pull up a chair and join us! Blizzard Entertainment is seeking a talented and enthusiastic software engineer to join the Hearthstone team. The ideal candidate will have a passion for improving service stability with the goal of providing the best possible experience for our players. Blizzard offers a fun, creative, and technically challenging environment with excellent compensation and a full range of benefits.
· Be part of the team responsible for HearthStone’s online service:
o Participate in the ongoing effort to improve our network infrastructure, with the goal of achieving a highly-available service.
o Help track down and resolve issues that occur in the live production environment.
o Design and implement the server-side components of new HearthStone game features.
o Help support the storage of player data in an Oracle relational database.
· Help make improvements to the team’s ability to develop and support the game.
· Champion Blizzard’s core values, especially “Gameplay First”.
· Maintain a basic familiarity with Hearthstone’s design.
· Strong, proven C++ programming skills.
· Strong data-structure, logic and algorithm skills.
· Networking experience in TCP and/or UDP protocols.
· Experience working in a client/server architecture.
· Some experience interacting with a relational Database (Oracle, MySQL, etc.)
· Ability to work in a collaborative environment.
· A desire to help make the Hearthstone service the best that it can be for our players.
· A minimum of 5 years’ experience in delivering production-level code in a professional environment.
· Familiarity with Hearthstone, at least at a casual player level.
· Avid Hearthstone player.
· Strong Linux development experience. (server applications, gdb debugging, etc.)
· Strong relational database skills.
· Experience moving from a relational database to a non-relational (noSQL) database such as Cassandra.
· Familiarity with higher level network protocols such as HTTP, SNMP, SMTP, FTP.
· Low level network knowledge and diagnosis including packet capture (tcpdump, wireshark), routing, firewalls, DHCP, DNS, NAT busting
· Previous experience shipping game titles or other software.
· Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or related degree.
· Experience supporting a live service.
· Familiarity with other Blizzard Entertainment products.
Required Application Materials
· Cover Letter which should include:
o Why you are interested in working at Blizzard
o What games you are currently playing
** Only submissions with cover letters will be considered
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Meet Some of Blizzard Entertainment's Employees
Lead Environment Artist
As a lead environment artist, Ely guides his team of artists as they flesh out and paint the organic elements that compose the landscapes throughout World of Warcraft.
Back to top