Senior Environment Artist
We pride ourselves in forging amazing worlds and experiences for our players to dive into! To accomplish these epic goals, we need passionate, creative, smart, driven people with kickass talent.
We are looking for a senior environment artist to join our team on an unannounced project. This is a hyper-creative role for an artist with a great eye for lighting, shape language, and PBR materials, coupled with a vibrant imagination. You will be expected to help develop our art pipeline, be a Substance guru for the team, as well as assist in defining the overall look and feel of the project. As a senior artist you’ll also contribute models and textures for natural environments and structures as well as props. This role requires a strong sense of design as well as the ability to execute the highest-quality art. We value a tightknit team that celebrates artistic passion and pushing the creative bounds. If you have the desire to push your talents to help us create an awesome Blizzard experience, then join us!
- Work as a surfacing expert on the team, including mastery of Substance Designer and Painter.
- Assist with Tech Art and Engineering in planning and implementing our art pipeline.
- Create top-quality environment-related models and textures to set the quality bar for our game.
- Work closely with art director and leads to drive and evangelize the artistic vision of the project.
- Assist in planning asset production in collaboration with the concept and level teams.
- Expert-level experience using Substance Designer
- Self-motivation, good communication skills, and a great team-player attitude
- A minimum of 5 years experience in game development as an artist specializing in organic/natural and hard surface modeling using Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush or Mudbox
- Exceptional understanding of next-generation asset creation pipelines and tools
- Experience working with an art director or lead in developing a unique and cohesive modeling and texturing style for natural and manmade environments as well as props
- Exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modeling
- Superior eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating texture maps
- Able to contribute to, interpret, and clearly communicate art direction to a team
- Proven ability to mentor effectively
- Able to effectively collaborate with game designers and programmers
- Proven problem-solving / prototyping ability
- Able to work creatively as part of a large or small group
- Understanding of the visual style of Blizzard games and a passion to push it to the next level
- A passion for games
- Previous experience working on a first-person or other action-oriented game
- Have shipped multiple products in a lead or senior artist position
- Responsibilities that have included hiring, reviews, or managing other artists
- Experience in creating visual designs that support gameplay oriented goals
- Skill in one or more related disciplines—concepting, animation, visual effects, or technical art
- Experience in working with outsource art studios and other external vendors
Submission / Portfolio requirements
- Cover Letter
- Portfolio, and/or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills
- Only online artwork submissions will be accepted (e.g. website, blog, or online album)
- Must be willing to complete an art test if requested to do so
Meet Some of Blizzard Entertainment's Employees
Lead Environment Artist
As a lead environment artist, Ely guides his team of artists as they flesh out and paint the organic elements that compose the landscapes throughout World of Warcraft.
Back to top