Senior Engineer, Video Platform
Major League Gaming, a division of Activision Blizzard, is a worldwide leader in esports and serves as the operational foundation, partnership hub, and media production network for the Overwatch League and Call of Duty World League.
We’re seeking a senior engineer to lead development of solutions to facilitate live broadcasts of major esports and corporate events, including solutions to preserve content in VOD, DVR and archived formats. You’ll play a critical role in developing products that are key to the long-term strategic vision for the company—and serve a global audience of esports fans, players and partners.
As a member of the MLG and Blizzard team, you will work alongside passionate, knowledgeable and experienced teammates to help continue building on our history of success in esports!
- Lead the development of solutions to facilitate live IP-based broadcasts, from in-venue capture, to transcode/transmux, ad insertion, distribution, rendering, and tracking
- Automate management of a real-time video delivery system distributed on a geographically dispersed cluster, comprised of virtual and physical hosts
- Collaborate with a team of other Sr./Lead Engineers and Product Managers to build a best-in-class suite of video lifecycle systems from live to DVR to VOD, with ability to secure live and on-demand video
- Leverage CDN's, Transcode Clusters, Analytics, and Other 3rd Party Platforms to continually drive innovation and focus on building the 'secret sauce'
- Work with IT/Broadcast Operations Leads to develop next generation broadcast solutions for Activision/Blizzard's temporary and permanent venues
- Research emerging software and hardware trends to improve stability, reduce costs, and offer unique functionality for live esports event streams
- Interface with outside partners and vendors on venue services, stream hand-off, and distribution platforms to the extent they are leveraged for core services, packetization and delivery of our streams and vods.
- Develop Novel Solutions to deliver multi-lingual and localized version of all content, covering both in-stream and captions
- Help Develop Best Practices for Major Live Event support, from building out and documenting a Broadcast Operations Center to staffing and escalation procedures for different tiers of events
- 10 years of hands-on programming experience with an Enterprise-grade language (Java/C++/Equivalent)
- 6+ years developing media tools (transcode, transmux, render, encode)
- Expertise with real-time and massively distributed systems
- 3+ years developing for resource-constrained environments (embedded/game consoles/native mobile)
- Proficiency in video CODEC landscape, tools to encode/decode/analyze video
- Deep understanding of web and video-related protocols – TCP, UDP, RTP, RTMP, FEC, VTT, h.264, h.265, etc.
- BS degree in computer/engineering field, MS major plus
- Experience Leading a small Engineering Team (2-5 people) a major plus
- Cover letter
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Meet Some of Blizzard Entertainment's Employees
Lead Environment Artist
As a lead environment artist, Ely guides his team of artists as they flesh out and paint the organic elements that compose the landscapes throughout World of Warcraft.
Back to top