Senior Director, Communications - Activision Blizzard Esports Leagues
Activision Blizzard Esports Leagues are responsible for the development and operation of premier Activision Blizzard professional gaming properties including the Overwatch League™ and the Call of Duty® World League, as well as the commercialization of the entire Blizzard Esports portfolio. Launched in 2017, the Overwatch League is the world’s first major global esports league with city-based teams, with 20 clubs across Asia, Europe, and North America. In 2019, the Call of Duty World League Presented by PlayStation®4 will deliver five vs. five team play featuring Call of Duty®: Black Ops 4. It is ABE’s vision to be the most innovative, scalable, and valuable developer of global competitive entertainment.
The Senior Director of Communications is the main storyteller and brand guardian for the AB Esports Leagues corporate brand and portfolio properties, most notably the Overwatch League and the Call of Duty World League. This role will be responsible for setting & executing the communications vision, agenda, strategies policies, and principles for the AB Esports Leagues corporate brand and portfolio.
- Ideate and manage the development of Global Communications for all launches ensuring holistic strategies in collaboration with Social Media/Consumer Marketing & Product leads to ensure marketing programs and brand narratives are brought to life in a holistic way.
- Improve awareness, reputation and impact for our brand and product platform, to influence external perception, market positioning and revenue goals. This position has dual responsibility across both Activision and Blizzard offices.
- Recruit, manage and develop a high performing, global marketing communications team.
- Responsible for setting overall organizational communications, brand, and PR policies and priorities
- As a key member of the AB Esports Leagues Management Team, this role must develop and implement a marketing and communications strategy to various audiences – employees, AB Execs, brand partners, media and analysts, in partnership with Corporate Communications.
- Works directly with members of the senior staff to set overall organizational communications, brand and public relations policies and priorities.
- Manage the global PR budget in partnership with CMO; liaise with internal finance team as needed on monthly reconciliation.
- Liaise with international markets’ PR teams to understand their needs, strengthen their local launch plans and ensure alignment in messaging.
- Oversee the development of a best-in-class global lifestyle and influencer ambassador program that each esports league can tap into to drive fan engagement and brand awareness.
- Develop, plan, and execute influencer-facing, media-facing and consumer-facing events and activations that align with the specific product or campaign strategies.
- Build franchise teams’ capabilities via traditional and social media education, media training, etc.
- Act as senior point of contact for AB Esports Leagues PR agency of record.
- Set goals and evaluate results to ensure that Company communications objectives and KPIs are met, with visible and measurable results.
- Maintain meaningful relationships with select top-tier trade sports, business and mainstream global press.
- Assess executive and brand business media and speaking opportunities and provide messaging and guidance to participating executives, working with wider ABE PR team.
- Provide leadership and advisement on brand communication creation, review and approval.
- Craft compelling, editorial storytelling for the AB Esports Leagues brand and related Leagues and properties.
- Spearhead all brand-to-brand outside partnerships in partnership with CMO and Marketing leads for AB Esports Leagues properties, overseeing the relationships and comms for each.
- Manage the Experiential budget in partnership with CMO and Marketing Leads for AB Esports Leagues properties.
- Stay up-to-date on all gaming, (e)sports, media & entertainment news; monitor competitors and other industry leaders for learnings, insights and best practices.
- Demonstrate 24/7 approach to responsibilities – must move at the speed of culture.
- 10+ years of marketing experience to include managing strategic communications efforts, public relations, investor relations, trade shows, advertising and content marketing.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented problem-solver who thinks fast and finds solutions when others may see a dead end.
- Equally left- and right-brained with analytical skills to evaluate program effectiveness, and strong creative judgment to recognize what’s on-trend/on-brand.
- Innovative, strategic thinker who’s motivated to execute exceptionally and work independently within a fast-paced environment.
- Brings a robust skill set in lifestyle marketing, entertainment, and media relations.
- Excellent team player with the ability to build, foster and nurture strong relationships; keen ability to navigate among multiple constituents, platforms and communities to ensure strategies/goals are understood and met.
- Impeccable judgment to drive optimal brand engagement and identify and escalate potential issues and crises.
- Passion for sports, gaming/esports, lifestyle and entertainment industry.
- Must possess exceptional ability to craft fresh, engaging and innovative IRL and digital experiences intended to grow the cultural relevance and earned media awareness for AB Esports’ Leagues and properties.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- A strong network of media contacts, analyst contacts, and a proven way of building new relationships with existing and emerging media and influencers.
- Experience must include strategic planning, communications planning and management, marketing and media relations.
- Must have experience in successfully positioning a company or major brand, including execution of multi-channel communications rollout strategy.
Back to top