Senior Data Engineer, Mobile
Blizzard Entertainment games don’t just begin with game ideas nor do they end once those games are released. A lot more goes into the creation of an epic game than the work of developers and more than you can ever imagine goes into continuing to build and hone and perfect the most epic gaming experience in the years after our games are in the hands of gamers world-wide.
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a Sr. Data Engineer to join our Global Insights team and augment our Mobile Analytics group with technical leadership and vision, innovation and agility with big data at scale, and to develop a deep and rich subject matter expertise with the data most important to the franchise.
In this role, you will be responsible for providing accurate, timely, reliable, and ultimately useful data to the franchise analytics group. This mandate involves everything from the discovery, access, and integration of source data into the ecosystem to guaranteeing its health and robustness within that ecosystem to modeling and presenting that data in a manner that allows stakeholders within the ecosystem to perform their duties effectively. You will have a delicate balance in this role: you work most closely with the other members of your group and translate their needs into agile, highly-customized implementations for franchise-specific data; at the same time, though, you work just as closely with the Core Data team both to ensure that your group does not introduce problematic deviations from core data and that the core data infrastructure itself is supporting your group’s evolving needs; you are just as closely tied to the Tools and Technology team to ensure that your franchise-specific system usage is “playing nice, playing fair” within the greater analytical data ecosystem. You are one step closer to the business needs of the stakeholders and act as the primary technical resource for the franchise analytics team. Your priority is to ensure that the franchise analytics group can provide best-in-class analyses, insights, and recommendations in the most timely and effective manner possible.
Our ideal candidate is the druid of the analytics space: a powerful technologist whose dedication to the craft allows him or her to morph into whatever form necessary to get the job done while retaining the flexibility to see the bigger picture and respond accordingly. The ideal candidate uses the speed, agility, and targeted on-point damage of Cat form to meet the quick-shifting, high-impact immediate needs of his or her franchise group before morphing seamlessly into a Bear form, responsible for tanking the ongoing operational needs of the group as a whole. A shift to Moonkin allows for the push-and-pull flow of ideas between Franchise and Core; and the final shift to Tree provides the stability and integration between the franchise group and the other users, approaches, policies, and procedures of the overall analytical data ecosystem.
- Design, develop, implement, and evolve franchise-specific data pipelines that are optimized for Mobile Games
- Troubleshoot any performance, system or data related issues, and work to ensure data consistency and integrity
- Work with the Mobile Game Analytics team as technical lead and primary technical resource
- Plan and coordinate franchise-specific technical projects
- Innovate in a more agile environment and summarize ideas/approaches to the Core Data team for validation and potential integration into core data infrastructure
- Ensure no deviation from core data
- Act as a primary technical liaison between the franchise team and the Core Data / Tools and Technology teams
- 4+ years working at a mobile game studio featuring a large analytical data ecosystem
- Strong technical understanding of data modeling, design, architecture principles, and techniques to take business requirements from concept to implementation
- Very strong knowledge of relational databases, MPPs, SQL, with an emphasis on Teradata fundamentals
- Very strong experience with the Hadoop ecosystem including HDFS, MapReduce, Spark, Hive/Pig, et. al
- Strong verbal and written communication skills across both technical and non-technical audiences
- Knowledge of Python, Java, Linux architecture and scripting
- Extensive background extracting and transforming complex data sets (ETL process design and administration)
- Experience with database design and star schema data warehouse theory
- Passionate video gamer and in-depth knowledge of Blizzard Entertainment games, products, and services
- Passionate video gamer with in-depth knowledge of Blizzard Entertainment games, products, and services
- Experience in technical project management
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Meet Some of Blizzard Entertainment's Employees
Lead Environment Artist
As a lead environment artist, Ely guides his team of artists as they flesh out and paint the organic elements that compose the landscapes throughout World of Warcraft.
Back to top