Senior Character Artist
We pride ourselves in forging amazing worlds and experiences for our players to dive into! To accomplish these epic goals, we need passionate, creative, smart, driven people with kickass talent.
We’re looking for an exceptionally skilled senior character modeling artist to join an unannounced project. Candidates should have extensive experience working with modeling/sculpting tools to achieve photorealistic as well as stylized characters. This is a hyper-creative role for an artist with a great eye for form, shape language, and PBR materials, coupled with a vibrant imagination. You will be expected to assist in defining the overall look and feel of a wide variety of characters, weapons, and other elements. This role requires a strong sense of design as well as the ability to execute the highest-quality art. We value a tightknit team that celebrates artistic passion and pushing the creative bounds. If you have the desire to push your talents to help us create an awesome Blizzard experience, then join us!
- Create top-quality character-related models and textures to set the quality bar for our project.
- Assist with Tech Art and Engineering in planning and implementing our art pipeline.
- Work closely with art director and leads to drive and evangelize our artistic vision.
- Assist in planning asset production in collaboration with the concept and design teams.
- Self-motivation, good communication skills, and a great team-player attitude
- A minimum of 5 years experience in game development as a character artist specializing in organic forms as well as hard surface modeling using Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush or Mudbox
- An exceptional understanding of character form
- Creative vision to take a character to completion from either a detailed or simple concept image
- Intimate understanding of next generation asset creation pipelines and tools
- Experience working with an art director or lead in developing a unique and cohesive modeling and texturing style for both organic and hard surface characters
- Exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modeling
- Superior eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating texture maps
- Able to contribute to, interpret, and clearly communicate art direction to a team
- Proven ability to mentor effectively
- Able to effectively collaborate with game designers and programmers
- Proven problem-solving and prototyping ability
- Able to work creatively as part of a large or small group
- Understanding of the visual style of Blizzard games and a passion to push it to the next level
- A passion for games
- Previous experience working on a first-person or other action-oriented game
- Experience using Substance Designer
- Have shipped multiple finished products in a lead or senior artist position
- Responsibilities that have included hiring, reviews, or managing other artists
- Experience in creating visual designs that support gameplay-oriented goals
- Skill in one or more related disciplines—concepting, animation, visual effects, or technical art
- Experience in working with outsource art studios and other external vendors
Submission / Portfolio requirements
- Cover Letter
- Portfolio, and/or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills
- Only online artwork submissions will be accepted (e.g. website, blog, or online album)
- Must be willing to complete an art test if requested to do so
Meet Some of Blizzard Entertainment's Employees
Lead Environment Artist
As a lead environment artist, Ely guides his team of artists as they flesh out and paint the organic elements that compose the landscapes throughout World of Warcraft.
Back to top