Principal Game Designer, Hearthstone
- Irvine, CA
Job Title: Principal Game Designer, Hearthstone
Requisition ID: R003426
Pull up a chair and join us! Blizzard Entertainment is seeking a talented and passionate Principal Game Designer to help lead major initiatives across Hearthstone. In this role, you will champion Blizzard's core value of "Gameplay First" and collaborate with Engineering and Business to design the right version to release to players. The ideal candidate will have proven experience designing systems and balancing PVP gameplay across multiple released games.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We've transitioned to a work-from-home model and we're continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person's circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Analyze, pitch, prototype, balance, and develop core systems and gameplay
- Act as a champion of feel, feedback, and intuitive systems for all aspects of the game
- Partner with design leadership in forming and evangelizing the design vision to the rest of the team
- Leverage technical experience to implement systems and design ideas
- Collaborate with multiple disciplines, ensuring the correct partners are involved and informed throughout the development process
- Gather and provide effective and constructive feedback to the creative staff, providing suggestions and solutions for improvement when applicable
- Ensure consistency, authenticity, and harmony across features, systems, and development efforts
- Remain current on industry trends including: new game genres, new game design methods and techniques, and free to play experiences and systems
- Huge fan of Hearthstone and currently a highly engaged player
- 10+ years of experience shipping AAA titles in systems and gameplay design roles
- Multiple shipped AAA titles in a senior role with a history of successful features
- Demonstrated ability to communicate design vision and to align vision with internal partners and an intended market
- Exceptional ability to conceptualize, pitch, and implement game systems/features using various tools, technology, and visual language
- Ability to direct, collaborate, and speak critically on gameplay systems, art, and content development
- Collaborative and progressive thinker capable of inspiring teams toward a unified goal
- Clear understanding of the creative and game development processes
- Extraordinary self-motivation and initiative
- Deep understanding of systems design, player experience, and emerging free to play industry trends
- Experience with Unity
- Experience with scripting languages and programming
- Resume which must include:
- A link to your portfolio or Linkedin so that we easily identify examples of your work.
- Cover Letter which must include:
- Why you are interested in joining Blizzard Entertainment and the Hearthstone team
- Your experience and relationship with Blizzard games and Hearthstone
- What games you are currently playing.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We've worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences...ever. Join us!
Job Status: Full-Time
Primary Location: United States-CA-Irvine
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Back to top