Blizzard Online Network Systems is the Global Network Operations team responsible for supporting ALL of Blizzard’s customer-facing IT Systems and Services. Such services include Battle.net, World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, Diablo 3, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm and Overwatch. In addition to managing these IT Platforms, BONS also works closely with our development teams throughout a product’s lifecycle. Our team’s mission statement: Innovating and delivering global technology solutions to power the most epic entertainment experience... Ever.
Area of expertise
- Cisco Nexus, Catalyst, ASR
- Datacenter (Vxlan, global and local load balancing solution, firewalling, access-lists, multicast, VPC/VDC, NAT/PAT)
- Backbone (BGP, ISIS, MPLS, ISP knowledge, DDoS and Mitigation solutions)
- Monitoring (Netflow, SNMP solutions)
- Automation. Having knowledge on SDN solutions or scripting language such as Python
- Exercises substantial personal responsibility and autonomy. Plans own work to meet given objectives and processes
- Influences colleagues and suppliers at account level. Participates in external activities related to the network speciality. Makes decisions which influence the success of projects and team objectives.
- Performs an extensive range and variety of complex technical network activities. Undertakes work which requires the application of fundamental principles in a wide and often unpredictable range of contexts. Understands the relationship between own specialism and wider customer/organisational requirements.
- Demonstrates an analytical and systematic approach to issue resolution. Takes the initiative in identifying and negotiating appropriate personal development opportunities.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills. Contributes fully to the work of teams. Plans, schedules and monitors own work competently within limited deadlines and according to relevant legislation, standards and procedures.
- A degree in computer science or related field
- CCIE R&S, CCIE Security, CCIE Internet Provider, CCIE Datacenter, CCDE, JNCIE certification, JNCP
- SDN use or deploy
- Juniper (MX/EX/SRX/Qfx), Fortigate, F5, Citrix netscaler, Arista
- Cloud solution, Openstack
- Knowledge on opensource monitoring solutions
- DDoS mitigation and monitoring
- Willing to travel 4 to 6 times per year within Europe and North America
- Assesses, analyses, develops, documents and implements changes based on requests for a Network change (RFC). Monitors service component capacity and initiates actions to resolve any shortfalls according to agreed procedures. Applies techniques to control the demand upon a network resource or service
- Provides technical expertise to enable the correct application of operational procedures. Uses network management tools to determine network load and performance statistics. Contributes to the planning and implementation of maintenance and installation work. Implements agreed network changes and maintenance routines. Identifies operational problems and contributes to their resolution. Provides reports and proposals for improvement.
- Drafts and maintains procedures and documentation for network support. Makes a significant contribution to the investigation, diagnosis and resolution of network problems. Ensures that requests for support are dealt with according to set standards and procedures.
- Ensures that appropriate action is taken to anticipate, investigate and resolve problems in systems and services. Ensures that such problems are fully documented within the relevant reporting systems. Enables development of problem solutions. Coordinates the implementation of agreed remedies and preventative measures. Analyses patterns and trends.
- Maintains an in-depth knowledge on network skills and best practice, and provides expert advice regarding their application. Can supervise specialist consultancy.
- Maintains awareness of opportunities provided by new technology to address challenges or to enable new ways of working. Within own sphere of influence, works to further organisational goals, by the study and use of emerging technologies and products. Contributes to briefings and presentations about their relevance and potential value to the organisation.
- Produces network designs, specifications, and overall documentation of networks and networking technology within the organisation. Specifies procedures and recovery routines and contingency procedures. Translates logical designs into physical designs.
Meet Some of Blizzard Entertainment's Employees
Lead Environment Artist
As a lead environment artist, Ely guides his team of artists as they flesh out and paint the organic elements that compose the landscapes throughout World of Warcraft.
Back to top