Lead Software Engineer (Java), Payment Gateway
Blizzard Entertainment has an opening for a talented and enthusiastic lead software engineer to join our Battle.net Accounts & Commerce team!
The Battle.net Accounts & Commerce team develops the services and infrastructure, that houses hundreds of millions of Battle.net accounts, and handles millions of transactions for the StarCraft, Diablo, World of Warcraft, Hearthstone, and the Overwatch franchises, for multiple regions around the globe. Ever wonder how that spectral mount is represented in our Account Database, or what happens when you click"Buy" in Hearthstone for additional booster packs? Curious what happens on a game launch night, where millions of customers rush home to claim a key, and unlock access to games, features, upgrades, and more? Have you added an authenticator or your mobile number to bolster the security of your account? Well, we're the team that provides the platform that powers all of those features and more.
We primarily use Java, and technologies like Tomcat, Spring, RabbitMQ, RDBMSs, and more, to deliver a world-class platform for our internal game teams, support team, and web teams. We're an internal hub at Blizzard, and are involved in some fashion on nearly every project and release within Blizzard! We see many high load events, and work on highly scalable infrastructure to meet our project goals!
This role is for the Technical Lead of the Payments team, which integrates with dozens of payment partners, to bring Blizzard's commerce presence to a truly global level. The lead software engineer will lead a team of about eight talented engineers, to develop scalable and highly performant payment processing capabilities for Battle.net and Blizzard. The role focuses on server-side engineering and architecture, and exceptional operational best practices, while coordinating with front-end teams that build the UIs around payments processing.
- Technical Experience
- A minimum of 10 years’ professional software engineering experience, including experience with Java
- Exceptional understanding service-oriented architecture and good API design
- Strong knowledge of operationalizing large scale service infrastructure, including best practice monitoring and alerting, and defensive design and architecture
- Solid software security fundamentals
- Well versed with scalable system architecture and technical design
- Familiar with various forms of testing practices, including regression, acceptance, functional, and load testing
- Proficient with data storage technologies, including solid experience with RDBMSs
- Management and Leadership Experience and/or Ability
- A passion and desire to manage and lead high-performance teams and people. Inspire, support, guide, and grow!
- Pragmatic decision making, striking the balance between business value and engineering complexity
- Excellent communication skills and strong leadership experience, able to negotiate the best plan for the team and its products
- Ability to build effective Blizzard relationships, to foster world-class collaboration and teamwork
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or equivalent experience
- Previous experience delivering easy-to-use services and APIs to multiple consumers
- Familiarity with the Spring Framework
- Strong understanding of Linux / UNIX servers
- Strong advocate for quality and concise documentation
- Passion for video games
Meet Some of Blizzard Entertainment's Employees
Lead Environment Artist
As a lead environment artist, Ely guides his team of artists as they flesh out and paint the organic elements that compose the landscapes throughout World of Warcraft.
Back to top