Job Title: Lead Software Engineer, Engine - Unannounced Survival Game
Requisition ID: R005726
We Want You
A new world and a new journey await you. It is a world different from any other Blizzard has created.
If you're a passionate game developer, and, well, a good human being, then we'd love to talk to you. We have a new AAA survival game in the works, set in a new IP for PC/Console. It's going to be amazing, and we'd love to bring you along for the ride. Together, we'll build something big, bold, and beautiful.
We are seeking a lead engine engineer to oversee engine development for our project. As a lead engine engineer, you will inspire and align the engine team around a technical vision that enables best-in-class gameplay, art, and audio experiences. By directly managing a team of engineers and collaborating with project leadership, you will help define strategic initiatives and break down clear and achievable goals for the engine team. When particularly hard problems arise, you'll draw upon the team's collective creativity to define and execute upon a technical vision that meets the project's needs.
We believe our team is good. Really good. Granted, we're obviously biased. But we also believe there are lots of developers out there who can make us even better. You could be one of those people. If you're looking for a team where inclusion, thoughtfulness, empathy, professionalism, and collaboration are all seen as critically important, we believe our team could be a phenomenal fit for you. Join us and help craft our future!
COVID-19 Hiring Update:
We've transitioned to a work-from-home model, and we're continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person's circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
We need help with
- Managing, evaluating, and mentoring the engineering staff of the engine team.
- Acting as the primary point of contact for cross-team engine development, partnering with a central-service shared game engine team to define and execute on project requirements.
- Defining the project's technical vision for the engine department, collaborating across a diverse cross-discipline team to ensure that the engine requirements for the project are clearly defined and met.
- Partnering with the production staff and the rest of the leadership team for milestone planning and tracking development progress.
- Authoring, pitching, and maintaining technical design documents that outline key project architectural decisions, milestones, and technical risks.
- Championing Blizzard's core values.
What you are good at
- Making and shipping AAA games!
- Leading high performing engineering teams.
- Shipping games on multiple platforms.
- Understanding various modern rendering techniques, graphics hardware and API's, and shader authoring.
- Understanding game content pipelines and tools.
- Math, with a strong proficiency for linear algebra and trigonometry.
- Performance analysis and code optimization.
- Writing fluent C++ code with an advanced knowledge of both historical patterns and modern language features.
- Excellent spoken and written communications skills.
- Enjoy playing a variety of video game genres and titles.
Extra awesome points for
- B.S. (or higher) degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Experience with Unity, Unreal, or other development engines.
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work/life balance. We've worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunities for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences ever. Join us!