Lead Outsourcing Artist
Starcraft, Diablo, Warcraft, Overwatch, Hearthstone, and The Lost Vikings - which is your favorite Blizzard universe? Having a hard time choosing? You don't have to!
Blizzard is looking for a highly-motivated Hero who can champion our outsourcing pipeline from an artistic point of view. Our ideal candidate will coordinate with leadership to help identify our outsourcing needs and work with our vendors to achieve the best result. This job is about managing our external and internal communication and getting our outsourcing assets into a "game ready" state. We’d love to meet you if you are a versatile artist, comfortable adapting to our art style and communicating that style to our vendors. We value strong team players who give both positive and constructive feedback and are open to receiving feedback in return. We anticipate this position to change over time, but initially we need someone to be hands on and establish our pipeline, review assets, and complete final tweaks.
Sound fun? If you are up to the challenge, we want to hear from you!
- Work closely with the art director, art leads, and production team to determine outsourcing needs, pipelines budgets and costs for art assets.
- Own the quality control over all incoming art assets, providing detailed feedback and approvals to the vendor to deliver quality assets to the development team.
- Implement approved assets into the game engine, along with making any needed fixes to keep assets consistent and game ready.
- Maintain a strong creative relationship between external and internal art teams.
- Maintain internal documentation to be up to date for our vendors to achieve the best results.
- Manage communications and provide schedules to production.
- Identify vendors and establish good working relationships with them that align to our team’s goals.
- Some travel will be necessary to meet and build relationships with external vendors.
- Experience in game art asset creation in a variety of software packages including Maya, 3ds Max, Zbrush, Substance and Photoshop
- Must be proficient 2D artist, and able to communicate well visually.
- Clear and concise communications, strong leadership and people skills are a must
- Must be highly organized, self-driven and customer focused
- Understand the visual style of Blizzard games and have a passion to push art vision to the next level
- Have shipped AAA PC or console title as an environment, character, or technical artist
- You have created art for games as a senior or lead level.
- You have generated detailed documentation, video reference, and examples of art asset production, procedures, and engine requirements to support the external vendors.
- Your portfolio demonstrates the creation of game assets.
- Have a passion for Blizzard IP’s.
Required Application Materials
- Resume and cover letter
- Portfolio, and / or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills required
- Only online artwork submissions will be accepted (e.g. website, blog or online album)
Meet Some of Blizzard Entertainment's Employees
Lead Environment Artist
As a lead environment artist, Ely guides his team of artists as they flesh out and paint the organic elements that compose the landscapes throughout World of Warcraft.
Back to top