Lead Lighting Artist - Diablo IV
- Irvine, CA
Job Title: Lead Lighting Artist - Diablo IV
Requisition ID: R002029
We Need You
The minions of Hell are growing stronger...
We're working on a new, unannounced Diablo project. If you're a skilled Lead Lighting Artist, then come work with us and together we will build something exceptional.
Our team of talented developers is growing. Our backgrounds are diverse, but we share a real passion for what we do. We believe that for those looking for a tight-knit crew that celebrates self-expression and embraces collaboration, we might be a phenomenal fit.
Stuff We Will Trust You With
Do you geek out on colors, tones, values, shadows, fog, exposure, and all other things connected to lighting amazing real-time art? We're looking for an extraordinarily talented Lead Lighting Artist to come spend some quality time in Sanctuary and delve into the deep dark dungeons of Diablo with us! Your experience will help make our entire art department better at producing gorgeous content.
Your responsibilities will range from crafting and managing lighting, weather and color grading, to tweaking assets and scenes for the Diablo world to make it look as amazing as possible. Being the formal head of the team, you should also be an active driver and enabler in team art discussions, critiques, and reviews. You will always distill clarity out of ambiguity and build energy and momentum whenever there's a lull. You're a listener and a voracious learner. You love being in a dynamic environment where every voice matters, and you passionately believe that being proven wrong is just another opportunity to grow and learn. You will work with your team, other leads, and studio leadership to ensure all assets are consistently meeting the high quality bar Blizzard is known for.
Would you thrive in an environment of peers who are enthusiastic about working on the dark gothic world of Diablo, and would you love making phenomenal games, killing millions of monsters and getting loot? Silly question-we already know you would!
Stuff You Can Rightfully Brag About
You may wonder what it will take to be successful in this role. Well, we're always looking for people who are game developers first and who can help us become even better than we are today, so these are probably some of your previous achievements:
- Previous experience leading an art function team on a AAA game development project.
- Work with other leads and game director to assist in providing clear vision to your team on the project as a whole and clear communication to leadership of the vision of your specific team's discipline.
- Demonstrated understanding of how light, shadow, and color create tone and mood, and you possess a thorough understanding of real-time and pre-rendered lighting principles.
- Proven creative chops and a technically proficient approach to lighting environments based on designs, vision documents and conceptual illustrations.
- Expert level knowledge of all the various tools used to craft lighting in modern game engines.
- Impressive and relevant portfolio demonstrating lighting created by you in a PBR pipeline, clearly showing game examples of your work
- An exceptional understanding of color, shape, and surface types
- Able to work creatively as part of a large or small group
- Ability to mentor other artists and provide meaningful feedback
- A passion for games
- Self-starter and driver, excellent communicator and an amazing team-player
How You Will Stand Out
Most importantly, we want to get to know your authentic self. Life's too short to pretend to be something you're not (unless we're talking cosplay of course). That said, we hope you have:
- A strong passion for developing and playing games.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Diablo universe.
- Deep knowledge in high-end compositing, grading and other production tools for real-time and offline graphics.
- Experience in world building and composing scenes.
- A solid foundation in traditional art.
And yeah, you will need these things to apply
- Portfolio demonstrating relevant skills. Only online work submissions, please. (e.g. website, blog or online album).
- Ability to work full-time onsite at Blizzard Entertainment's HQ in Irvine, California.
- Willingness to complete a test if requested to do so.
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Back to top