Lead Encounter Designer
- Irvine, CA
Job Title: Lead Encounter Designer
Requisition ID: R002455
This role will be responsible for the ongoing supervision of the encounter designers, and ensuring that our encounter design standards are maintained and grown. It will involve the creative design and technical implementation of encounter-based content and play balance. The ideal candidate will have proven experience in game design, a strong aptitude for critical thinking and analysis, outstanding people skills, boundless creativity, a strong visual aesthetic, extensive knowledge of World of Warcraft, and a longstanding passion for playing games.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We've transitioned to a work-from-home model and we're continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person's circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Collaborating with teams outside of encounters to ensure the highest quality encounters.
- Making sure dungeon and raid gameplay, as well as open world encounters meet the World of Warcraft quality and standards.
- Works closely with the Lead Combat Designer to constantly hone a cohesive vision for how players interact with hostile NPCs in WoW.
- Provides day to day support and feedback to the Encounter Designers to ensure the quality bar.
- Provides mentoring and feedback to the encounter team.
- Co-ordinates the on-boarding and training of new encounter designers.
- Works with department manager on career development goals for encounter designers and partners with department manager on performance reviews.
- Works with tools team to help prioritize tool requests from the encounter team.
- A minimum of 3 years' game design experience, including senior or lead design experience on a shipped product
- Extensive knowledge of WoW's encounters across dungeons, raids and world.
- Experience playing through many dungeon or raid encounters
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Absolute passion for playing and making computer games
- Experience managing and/or mentoring others.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Blizzard
- What games you are currently playing
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We've worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences...ever. Join us!
Job Status: Full-Time
Primary Location: United States-CA-Irvine
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
World of Warcraft
Back to top