Lead Character Artist
- Irvine, CA
Job Title: Lead Character Artist
Requisition ID: R003756
Unannounced Project - Irvine
We're a new team and we're looking for a versatile and creative lead character artist to come work with us on an unannounced project for Blizzard. Your goal is to bring all forms of 3D characters and creatures to life and push our project's visual development. Ultimately, you're combining inspiring art with incredible gameplay while actively collaborating and thriving on a small team.
DAY TO DAY TASKS
- Create both high resolution 3D sculpts and final low polygon and texture game assets for highly creative characters and creatures for a new Blizzard project.
- Combine traditional hand-crafted art techniques with next gen PBR materials to create a unique visual style for characters and creatures.
- Partner with other artists, designers, and tech artists to collaborate on creative solutions to solve complex character pipeline problems for this new Blizzard experience.
- Help build a great character art team by staffing it with highly talented 3D character artists who would thrive on our team and at the company at large.
- Coordinate with other art leads, design, and production to help accomplish the strategic goals of the character art team.
- Document and communicate specifications and visual benchmarks to support our artistic vision to both internal and external artists
- 7+ years professional experience as a character artist and/or art lead and you specialize in character modeling using Maya, Photoshop, Substance Painter, Zbrush or Mudbox.
- Exceptional understanding of asset creation pipelines and tools.
- You have experience shipping a game as an art lead or art director where you helped oversee the quality, scheduling, and implementation of a large portion of the character development on a game art team.
- You've hired exceptionally talented artists onto a team and helped them "learn and grow" through constructive art feedback and coaching.
- You have an exceptional understanding of sculpting the form, shape, structure, and silhouette for human and creature anatomy and know how to stylize them to create compelling and memorable characters.
- Great eye for light, shading, color, and detail in creating texture maps
- Proven problem-solving/prototyping ability for a game early in the development process
- Able to effectively collaborate with every department of a game development team (game designers, programmers, tech art, animation, etc.)
- You're a positive and proactive problem solver and help lead by example while contributing to the studio culture with the actions you take on the team.
- You love video games, movies, animation, and love dissecting them while thinking how to take them to the next level.
- You have a passion for Blizzard games and understand the unique approach to creating Blizzard art for our game universes.
- Portfolio - Only digital applications will be accepted such as a website, blog, or online album. Physical media will not be accepted.
- An art test might be required
Back to top