Group Technical Manager, Big Data Platform
Blizzard Entertainment has been rated for several years by Fortune as one of the "Best Places to Work.” We are a community of over 4000 global employees who are passionate about not only about gaming, but entertainment and technology that drives our users experience. Our goal is delighting our customers by providing a world of creativity and adventure around every corner.
Our Battle.net organization is home to 200+ super-powered, passionate, crazy-smart engineers, program managers, and designers focused on the technology that powers and enables our epic entertainment experience. Whether you’re a first timer or a loyal regular, Battle.net ensures that while playing Blizzard’s games, or interacting socially with friends or purchasing from our extensive e-commerce offerings, that our players and the viewer is immersed in an engaging, exciting, and secure experience. You’re a motivated, engaged, and thoughtful technical leader who has a track record and the passion for our building high performance distributed data systems.
Our technology platform, like our users, spans the globe and requires a group technical manager to keep the big picture in focus while being able to dive into the unique engineering projects and challenges we face daily. You hold the vision for the technical direction of groups and ensure your leads align to that vision. Decision-making needs to be towards multi-year goals with vision and strategic direction. In this role you will lead technical leads and architects to manage the technology of the group and be a mentor to your team. In partnership with the group program manager, you will have end-to-end responsibility and ownership of Blizzard’s shared data products.
We are building a platform that is more scalable, more performant, more reliable, and powers our diverse media business’ needs. We are also enabling new features that can drive significant impact for Blizzard gamers, viewers and customers globally.
- Scale as a broad leader to guide a group of 40+ architects, technical leads, and engineers to help design, implement, and maintain Blizzard’s data platform and products.
- Partner with technical leads to carefully assess and ensure that software is developing at high quality and meets the platform tenets including availability, scalability, efficiency, security, maintainability, and operability.
- Directly interact with partners, executives, and engineering leaders across Blizzard. Strong presentation skills are a requirement.
- Able to split time effectively managing, developing, and mentoring leaders and setting technical direction while driving alignment.
- Drive Blizzard’s strategy for big data and analytics, real time stream processing, and machine learning.
- Forward thinking with focus on multi-year goals for engineering and subsequently executing against them.
- Technical, managerial, and leadership skills at the lead software engineer or technical director level.
- A minimum of 10 years’ engineering experience in distributed systems, servers, networking, test, cloud computing, big data, or other mission critical production software.
- Familiarity with Spark, Flink, Kafka, Elasticsearch, Hadoop/HDFS, or similar products.
- Experience and passion for building highly parallelized and scalable distributed systems.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Experience managing other technical managers across multiple disciplines.
- Knowledge of open source software and the Linux ecosystem.
- Exhibit exceptional leadership skills that include, but do not limit to selection, performance management, talent planning, and development and recognition.
- Strong effective communications and presentation skills and the ability to influence at all levels.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Meet Some of Blizzard Entertainment's Employees
Lead Environment Artist
As a lead environment artist, Ely guides his team of artists as they flesh out and paint the organic elements that compose the landscapes throughout World of Warcraft.
Back to top