Director of Development, Esports Programming
Major League Gaming, a division of Activision Blizzard, is a worldwide leader in esports and serves as the operational foundation, partnership hub, and media production network for the Overwatch League and Call of Duty World League.
We’re seeking a director to oversee the development of original content to support esports initiatives including Overwatch League, Call of Duty World League and an ambitious slate of MLG network programming. You will be tasked with developing a wide range of content-- from original and studio-based programming to live-event shoulder concepts-- across the MLG Media Network and partner channels.
As a member of the MLG and Blizzard team, you will work alongside passionate, knowledgeable and experienced teammates to help continue building on our history of success in esports.
- Manage the programming blueprint/roadmap of show types and content across the MLG Media Network, including Activision Blizzard Esports (e.g., Call Of Duty World League, Overwatch League, etc)
- Drive creative development for live and taped broadcast/streaming content around esports and gaming for multiple platforms
- Lead team to identify and develop important show ideas and story lines to appeal to a global audience
- Generate ideas and develop shows into viable presentations and treatments
- Review and approve concepts, outlines, scripts, rough cuts, etc.
- Oversee creation of all necessary development materials including project briefs, treatments, decks and budgets
- Establish relationships with external resources to facilitate development, including production companies, writers, directors, producers, talent, etc.
- Provide ongoing management of external vendors, ensuring proper resourcing, budgeting, and delivery of projects
- Act as brand steward across MLG / Activision Blizzard Esports (including look-and-feel, live production, creative content and future planning)
- Participate in presentations for prospective projects, listen to pitches and attend creative meetings
- Provide feedback and creative guidance to shows in development and production
- Partner with production to ensure green-lit concepts are fully realized in production
- Provide strategic guidance to continuously improve and reinvigorate current programming slate
- Adhere to formalized Legal and S&P workflows and rulesets to ensure MLG programming meets all internal and external partner requirements
- Partner with the Sales and Integrated Marketing departments to fulfill sponsorships according to the specifications and expectations requested by the client
- Establish and manage a comprehensive content evaluation framework which informs why new programming should be launched, and why current programming should be renewed
- Provide clear and accountable updates to executive management related to eSports programming objectives, development plans and status to executives, internal stakeholders and business partners
- Maintain competitive awareness of market, entertainment trends and consumer trends
- 10+ years development, programming, or production experience in a network or a production company with a focus on non-scripted content
- Established expertise to create compelling non-scripted sports programing for a digital, global audience
- Experience with wide range of reality based show formats
- Experience tailoring content for global and regional audiences
- Experience with budgeting and strategic planning processes
- Well-developed leadership and mentorship capabilities
- Strategic thinker and partner to executive leadership team
- Demonstrated ability to remain flexible to changes in project development and evolving business objectives
- Effectively and efficiently manage varied tasks with competing timelines
- Assertive, effective communicator across all levels
- Attention to detail and commitment to quality
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in media or entertainment related field
- Strong understanding of the Activision/Blizzard brand, portfolio, and gaming culture
- Esports fan and gamer
- Ability to travel-domestically and internationally
Required application materials:
- Cover letter
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Meet Some of Blizzard Entertainment's Employees
Lead Environment Artist
As a lead environment artist, Ely guides his team of artists as they flesh out and paint the organic elements that compose the landscapes throughout World of Warcraft.
Back to top