Data Scientist, Global Insights
Blizzard Entertainment games don’t just begin with game ideas, or end once those games are released. A lot more goes into the creation of a Blizzard product than the work of developers—and we support our games for years after they’re in the hands of gamers world-wide.
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a data scientist to join our global insights team to partner with our Finance Analytics. The ideal candidate has a strong technical background in machine learning, data mining, statistics or a related quantitative field and has the ability to carry out innovative research and development using advanced statistical modeling techniques.
- Research and develop state-of-the-art machine learning, data mining and statistical modeling solutions to understand game design, system performance and key business behaviors, such as player acquisition, retention, and winback.
- Analyze and extract key insights and patterns from Blizzard's rich collections of petabytes of gameplay and operational data.
- Design and develop innovative predictive models for applications like matchmaking, recommendation systems, targeted marketing, etc.
- Work closely with data and systems engineers to deploy and maintain models seamlessly on production systems.
- Establish scalable, automated processes for large scale data extraction, model development, model validation and model implementation.
- Effectively translate statistical findings into actionable recommendations for senior leaders on game design and business teams.
- Master's Degree with a specialization in Machine Learning, Statistics, Applied Math, or in a related quantitative field or equivalent work experience.
- Expertise in machine learning and statistical analysis approaches such as classification, clustering, regression, statistical inference, collaborative filtering, natural language processing, experimental design, social networking analysis, etc.
- Able to invent and prototype novel machine learning algorithms from scratch
- Experience developing and implementing machine learning models on large scale data sets
- Expertise in automating and deploying models in production systems
- Strong problem solving skills
- Proficient with programming languages like Python, Java or C++
- Strong programming and prototyping skills in R or MATLAB
- Expertise with SQL, MPP and NoSQL databases
- Expertise with Big Data and Hadoop tech stack (HDFS / Map Reduce / Mahout / Hive / Spark)
- Experience with data visualization tools like Tableau
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
- Passion for video games
- Experience with Blizzard Entertainment games
- A proven track record of original contributions to machine learning and statistics
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Blizzard
- What games you are currently playing
**Only submittals with Cover Letters will be considered.
Meet Some of Blizzard Entertainment's Employees
Lead Environment Artist
As a lead environment artist, Ely guides his team of artists as they flesh out and paint the organic elements that compose the landscapes throughout World of Warcraft.
Back to top