Associate Editor, Overwatch League
The Overwatch League is a global, world-class esports ecosystem designed from the ground up to ensure that teams and players can thrive for years to come, and that fans have the best experience possible. The Overwatch League melds Blizzard’s experience in esports with the best practices of time-honored traditional sports. It is slated to launch later this year.
We are seeking an experienced associate editor to join the Overwatch League who is passionate about creating and shaping compelling editorial content (broadly defined) that will appeal not only to longtime esports and Overwatch fans, but also will provide an easy way in for curious newcomers. The person in this role will work closely with and report to the Overwatch League Senior Editor, as part of the larger Esports Editorial department.
- Create positive, compelling, and authentic content around Overwatch League events, personalities, storylines, and initiatives.
- Work in a variety of formats (written, video, GIFs, infographics, social media) to communicate these storylines, depending on what would best suit each individual story.
- Generate new content ideas by building relationships with Overwatch League players, casters, fans, team staff, and internal Blizzard staff.
- Develop supporting content as required, such as About pages, FAQs, player/team profiles, press releases, news announcements, and the like.
- Coordinate content initiatives across the Overwatch League's multiple teams and regions.
- Work with freelancers to develop and champion story ideas from pitching to publishing.
- Build partnerships and procedures for ongoing content development.
- Collaborate with the Overwatch League publishing and content teams to create and execute coordinated messaging plans.
- Collaborate with PR editorial team on standard department editorial functions.
- Complete additional projects and duties as assigned.
- Strong familiarity with and passion for esports, especially competitive Overwatch.
- A. in journalism or English, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years of professional, high-quality writing and editing experience.
- Fluent in the best practices and tools of web publishing, including content management systems (CMS) and the major social media platforms.
- Firm knowledge of grammar, punctuation, and usage.
- Able to manage multiple assignments under tight deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Strict attention to detail, excellent organization, and time-management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, particularly written and verbal communication.
- Willingness to take direction and accept feedback from senior editorial staff.
- Able to travel and work long hours and weekends as needed.
- Background in gaming and/or sports writing (ideally both).
- A passion for Blizzard games and universes.
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter
- Links to relevant writing samples (in gaming, esports, Overwatch, and/or traditional sports)
Meet Some of Blizzard Entertainment's Employees
Lead Environment Artist
As a lead environment artist, Ely guides his team of artists as they flesh out and paint the organic elements that compose the landscapes throughout World of Warcraft.
Back to top