VP of Merchandising
Lead merchandising strategy for the portfolio of custom products on GCC and Home Depot web properties, initially consisting of window coverings. Execute on this strategy by leading these teams:
- Merchandising associates who analyze, recommend new products and updates, and train
- Visual merchandising associates who build and maintain products online
- Supply chain associates who source products and manage COGS and supplier performance.
This position have a direct line to the GCC Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and dotted line to a THD VP of Merchandising.
Why work here?
For starters, Global Custom Commerce (GCC), a Home Depot Company is the world’s largest online window covering company, and we’ve got a demonstrably awesome 20-year track record. From our open-floor office to our open-door ethos, our culture is rooted in improving, evolving and having fun (we’re pretty serious about cake, cook-offs, ping pong, meaningful work and exciting projects). Most importantly, our team members are always inspired and ready for growth.
We merged with The Home Depot, the world’s #1 home improvement retailer, with $90+ billion in revenue. That means we’ve got the resources and the runway to create truly magical, out-of-the-box work. Moreover, this position will play an important role in leveraging our culture, people, systems, processes and technology — ultimately to provide incredible customer experiences, while growing business for GCC and The Home Depot. This is your chance to be part of something big.
Annnnnd, we’re also ranked as one of The Top 5 Workplaces in Texas and have consistently won the following awards: The Best Place to Work in Houston (Houston Business Journal), Houston’s Top Workplaces (Houston Chronicle) and Houston’s Best and Brightest.
Our Core Values
These aren’t just buried in an employee manual somewhere. We live and breathe them. They’re on the walls and lived in our hearts. They come up constantly in conversations and actions. They govern the decisions of the newest hire all the way up to our CEO. We started with four core values crafted in GCC and we embraced eight additional core values from The Home Depot that we live everyday:
- Improve continuously
- Experiment without fear
- Be yourself and speak up
- Enjoy the ride
- Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Take care of our people
- Respect for all people
- Doing the right thing
- Building strong relationships
- Giving back
- Excellent customer service
- Creating shareholder value
Are you ready for this?
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include product development, design and selection, product line review and performance analysis, gross margin management through examination of costs, pricing development and design of promotion calendars, competitive analysis, and improvement in website performance from simplifying the experience, and communicating product information to the entire organization.
Collaborate with The Home Depot team to jointly manage supplier relationships, leverage our collective buying power, share best practices and collaborate on program development. Lead the implementation of THD defined product programs online.
Product Development, Design and Selection:
- Review/compare supplier offerings and capabilities to design ideal private label product assortments for each property, including the creation of exclusive colors, patterns and other product attributes, often working with secondary suppliers.
- Include the right balance of best sellers, innovative technical features and fashion within the assortment.
- Strive to stay ahead of the competition in overall assortment quality.
- Leverage national brands to drive incremental traffic and lend credibility.
Review and Analysis:
- Conduct regular analysis of the product line, looking at multiple KPIs including mix trends, margin, selling prices and order value.
- Look for opportunities to duplicate “what’s working” across the product portfolio.
- Uncover opportunities to adjust pricing to maximize gross margin dollars.
- Design A/B tests to discover improvements to product presentation.
- Benchmark competition; maintain desired competitiveness level for each product/property.
- Drop underperforming products.
Financial Planning & Management:
- Analyze and compare cost proposals using weighted averages based on sales by size, to ensure competitive cost advantages, which may also include promotion support, rebates and terms.
- Set retail prices that maintain competitiveness and meet margin goals.
- Design a promotion calendar to maximize supplier support and provide an exciting array of consumer offers that will drive top line sales.
- Supervise the confirmation and documentation of information for all product launches, including pre-defined brand and THD programs.
- Ensure the merchandising team converts supplier information into accurate matrices that communicate information in a consistent format.
- Ensure that the Visual Merchandising team improves the online product offering in a manner that grows Gross Margin per Visitor by prioritizing work that raises product conversion rate and ASV and simplifies the overall shopping experience.
- Oversee the creation of the cost/price tables to be uploaded by the product builders.
- Collaborate with BI, Finance, creative, UX, information technology, training, and call center management to ensure smooth, successful product launches with reliable suppliers.
- Perform final check before products are launched.
- Announce product updates to the organization, ensuring all affected parties are informed of changes.
Supplier Relationship Management: Be the primary GCC contact for suppliers. Participate in regular meetings with suppliers to focus on strategic multi-year outlook. Strive to build a positive relationships throughout supplier base. Use the VPT system to reward suppliers who excel for our customers and penalize those who cause customer dissatisfaction.
General Company Management: Participate in wider company initiatives and support projects that are led by other individuals and departments.
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor’s degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job. Master’s degree preferred.
Years of Relevant Work Experience – 10
- Experience in senior management, running a portfolio of business in excess of $100MM.
- Proven experience in product development/design, product marketing, merchandising execution, visual presentation, inventory management, product costing, channel management, and supplier management.
- Proven experience in multi-channel retailing, including online and direct to consumer; brick and mortar a plus.
- Advanced analytical skills and understanding of merchandising/general business KPIs.
- Understanding of interior design, fashion and industry trends and the target customer.
- Proven ability to manage large scale projects in a complex environment.
- Proven proficiency in the online retail environment.
- Comprehensive understanding of window treatment industry and products.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies
- Advanced understanding of internal and environmental sales drivers
- Merchandising and retail planning expertise
- Strong analytical skills
- Expert communication and negotiation skills
- Project execution skills. Ability to negotiate pricing terms, co-op and rebate etc.
- Ability and willingness to work in a highly cross-functional environment
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, specialized with Excel
General office environment with primary responsibilities being clerical/administrative. Standing and walking around the sales floor the majority of the time or seated at a desk. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate with no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is performed in the office environment, with standard office equipment.
This role requires travel flexibility to our corporate office in Atlanta, GA, as well as to other destinations, for visits to vendors and stores, and for attending professional and business development conferences and trade-shows.
Meet Some of Blinds.com's Employees
It’s Katrina’s job to keep Blinds.com customers happy with beautiful window coverings. She fields customer phone calls and offers expert decorating advice for all kinds of home projects.
Back to top