The Project Management Office at Global Custom Commerce, Inc. is looking to expand the team as the organization continues to mature in project management. We are searching for a seasoned Project Manager with hands-on experience managing small to medium sized projects. The ideal candidate will have experience managing cross-functional teams and be familiar with building project plans which includes integrating Agile development and traditional operational waterfall components. General responsibilities of the role includes: managing projects through the entire project life cycle (initiate, plan, execute, control, close); leading teams to define project scope and objectives; executing project plans along with changes to scope, schedule or budget and communicating with stakeholders and project teams effectively along the way.
The Project Manager will be assigned to support both the Information Technology and Marketing Departments. The projects on the IT side will be infrastructure or software development related so it’s important for the candidate to have an understanding of IT architecture, development and infrastructure components. On the Marketing side, the support required will be more focused on helping the business leaders to build project plans and execution tool kits to help them be more successful in managing run-the-business type of projects. In addition, there may be a need to build and track overall marketing projects at the roadmap level.
Why work here? Blinds.com is the world’s largest online window covering company with a 20 year track record of awesomeness. From our cool office design to our cake celebrations to our culture of continuous improvement, you’ll come to work feeling inspired and ready to grow. Agile IT development and building product configurators is one of our competencies. So this role will be directly involved in projects that impact our services and customer experience. We are ranked as one of The Top 50 Workplaces in Texas and have won The Best Place to Work in Houston (Houston Business Journal), Houston’s Top Workplaces (Houston Chronicle) and Houston’s Best and Brightest awards for multiple years in a row. Plus, we just merged with The Home Depot, the #1 home improvement retailer in the world with $84 billion in revenue. This position will play an important role in growing both the Blinds.com and The Home Depot business by leveraging our culture, people, systems, processes, and technology to provide incredible customer experiences. Be a part of something big!
If you live and breathe continuous improvement and think that this sounds like an exciting career path that you’re ready jump onto, give us a shout and let us know more about you!Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the project initiation and planning processes – develop the project charter, scope, and budget
- Create and manage project plans – facilitating project completion on-time, on-budget and within scope
- When confronted by projects that may be going “off track,” escalate observations to appropriate members of the organization
- Define a resource capacity plan with input from resource managers to identify support required
- Conduct project kick-off meetings
- Develop a communication plan to keep all impacted parties up to date on project progress
- Schedule and facilitate required project meetings – track decisions and actions
- Identify, manage, track project issues and risks
- Identify, manage and track change requests (evaluate impact backlog)
- Partner with the Product Owner(s) to understand backlog, priorities and sprint plans
- Assist in gathering of requirements from all impacted departments
- Utilize structured Waterfall process for repeatability on 100% of projects
- Facilitate required status and other meetings with sponsors, stakeholders and project teams.
- Oversee the creation of required project documentation and deliverables
- Define and communicate project roles and responsibilities
- Promote the understanding and use of both conventional and agile project management concepts within the organization
- Support the Vice President in the coordination of meetings and program deliverables to ensure nothing gets missed
- 3-5 years hands on experience managing IT or business transformation projects. Must have managed projects through the entire life cycle
- PMP certification is strongly preferred. CAPM will be considered.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Information Systems, Business Administration or applicable disciplines
- Experience leading project teams of up to 20 members (incl vendors), projects with a duration of 4 -12 months and budgets up to $1M
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Familiar with basic information systems practices (Waterfall, Agile, Development, Architecture, etc.)
- Solid understanding of the project budgeting process which includes capital and expense management
- Must have proven experience in working with senior executives, business partners and technology teams
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Project or other scheduling tools
- Familiar with Agile Development tools such as Pivotal Tracker, VersionOne, etc.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Familiarity with project justification ROI, cost-benefit analysis, etc.
- Ability to balance the long-term ("big picture") and short-term implications of individual decisions
- Ability to translate business needs into requirements
- Abreast of PMI Project Management standards, best practices and industry trends
- Confident in speaking up and being yourself
- Respected as a Project Manager – can adapt to being a servant leader when working on Agile projects
- Enjoys being a team player
- Comfortable facilitating cross-functional team discussions and creating a plan of action
- Won’t get stressed in ambiguous situations or environments
- Thrives off of driving for results, naturally passionate about projects and is OK being accountable
- Comfortable acting as a leadership - persuade/influence individuals towards the right direction; provide appropriate coaching/mentorship to team members and resources assigned to project(s)
- At ease when communicating information at all levels of the organization
- Demonstrates ability to negotiate with individuals or groups to obtain commitment, compromise or settlement in a way that promotes mutual goals or interests
- Neutral toward technology, vendor and product choices; more interested in results than in personal preferences
- Innovative/Pioneering spirit
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Passionate customer advocate
- Quick learner, seeks out new skill sets required for success
Meet Some of Blinds.com's Employees
UX Manager, Mobile
Ryan creates great customer experiences for the Blinds.com mobile website by learning about website visitor shopping habits and developing new tools to make it all happen.
Back to top