The Instructional Designer performs the full scope of activities required to plan, design, and develop learning programs for sales, customer service and corporate audiences. The Instructional Designer also evaluates and analyzes results from various learning sessions and proposes change as needed. Your ultimate goal is to help our employees and yourself “achieve more than they ever thought possible” by achieving, and ultimately exceeding, established goals and objectives.
Why work here?
For starters, Blinds.com is the world’s largest online window covering company, and we’ve got a demonstrably awesome 20-year track record. From our open-floor office to our open-door ethos, our culture is rooted in improving, evolving and having fun (we’re pretty serious about cake, cook-offs and ping pong). Most importantly, our team members are always inspired and ready for growth.
We merged with The Home Depot, the world’s #1 home improvement retailer, with $91 billion in revenue. That means we’ve got the resources and the runway to do truly magical, out-of-the-box work. Moreover, this position will play an important role in leveraging our culture, people, systems, processes and technology — ultimately to provide incredible customer experiences, while growing business for Blinds.com and The Home Depot. This is your chance to be part of something big.
Annnnnd, we’re also ranked as one of The Top 10 Workplaces in Texas and have consistently won the following awards: The Best Place to Work in Houston (Houston Business Journal), Houston’s Top Workplaces (Houston Chronicle) and Houston’s Best and Brightest.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct thorough analyses to identify appropriate instructional strategies and define measurable learning objectives
- Design interactive learning programs that engage learners and enhance learning retention
- Work closely and productively with Subject Matter Experts, Performance Specialists, and other business resources to acquire, refine and write/develop instructional content using adult learning principles
- Create assessments based on pre-established learning objectives
- Evaluate and track training program effectiveness using an established training evaluation model
- Demonstrate creativity, flexibility and innovation in course design
- Maintain positive business partnerships with effective communication to ensure and enhance the ongoing relevance of learning materials
- Maintain and oversee downstream Instructional Systems Design (ISD) processes, managing project tasks accordingly with all team members
- Occasionally facilitate trainings when the need arises
- Proactively seek out additional product, industry and process knowledge
- Act as a resource for facilitators to provide learners with the best possible learning outcomes
- Minimum 3 years of instructional design experience
- Minimum 3 years of instructional content development experience
- Knowledge of current and emerging instructional technologies and design
- Thrive in fast-paced work environments while managing shifting priorities
- Prior experience in telephone-based customer contact centers working with sales and customer service professionals
- Proficient in MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Work independently or within a team
- Influential with business leaders in training-related topics
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal
- Receptive to feedback and able to provide feedback
- Project Management experience within training projects
- eLearning expertise with one or more major authoring tools; Adobe Captivate preferred
- Adobe Creative Suite/Cloud experience a plus
Blinds.com, based in Houston, Texas, is the largest online seller of blinds. The National Association for Business Resources named Blinds.com one of the Best and Brightest Companies to Work For® in the country.
Our Core Values
These aren’t just buried in an employee manual somewhere. We live and breathe them. They’re on the walls. They come up constantly in conversation. They govern the decisions of the newest hire all the way up to our CEO.
- Experiment without fear
- Improve continuously
- Be yourself and speak up
- Enjoy the ride
Meet Some of Blinds.com's Employees
UX Manager, Mobile
Ryan creates great customer experiences for the Blinds.com mobile website by learning about website visitor shopping habits and developing new tools to make it all happen.
Back to top