About this role
The Digital Platforms & Experiences team is part of the fast-growing Global Marketing function at BlackRock which seeks to scale our platforms, embody our brand and better engage a multi-trillion dollar audience of investors, advisors and institutions. The Digital team is at the center of a company-wide focus on expanding how design, technology and data can serve our users better. We are building the firm's digital vision, developing scaled platforms and collaborating across the business to launch simple, design-forward and user-centric experiences across our web, mobile and digital assets.
We are looking for a Vice President, Lead Engineer to drive the future of our web platform - blackrock.com. This role will be responsible for creating and delivering on a vision, strategy, and approach to building our digital front door and express ways to all aspects of BlackRock.
More specifically, you will:
- Innovate the way we build, test and release on BlackRock.com
- Partner with Design and Product to deliver against the strategy
- Build relationships with technology and business partners across the firm
- Lead a team to build, test and ship product
- Understand and support existing systems, and resolve operations issues while working with other engineering staff located across the globe
- Develop and maintain development friendly, valid full-stack code for implementation on all projects
- Work as the Lead developer with server-side developers, test engineers, project managers, technical leads, business owners and analysts through the whole SDLC, understanding and refining front-end and user interface requirements, designing, and writing code, clearly documenting the development process
- Implement best practices and coding standards in the project, strong hold on code quality checks and design patterns
- Stay abreast of the new front-end web development technologies; integrate them with BlackRock's web sites to further enhance the usability and efficiency of the sites as necessary
Qualifications and experience:
- A minimum of 8 years of development experience
- Must have demonstrated team building and leadership skills
- Proven project management skills including responsibility for delivering to project timetables and expertise in providing technical solutions
- Java web application development experience highly preferred (AJAX, JSON, SOAP, WSDL, XML, JSP/FTL).
- Experience with Test Driven Development highly preferred (JUnit, TestNG, EasyMock, JMock)
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in developing pixel perfect CSS driven, table-less HTML for all new projects, following development standards and templates as well as industry best practices
- Experience on frameworks like Angular, React, Node.js, Typescript preferred
- Experience with responsive web development, mobile and video technologies a strong plus
- Experience with website accessibility, optimization and performance improvement techniques
- Work closely with user-experience and design team to review visual designs
- Experience building and optimizing site search engine
- Experience developing applications with ElasticSearch or Solr
- Experience with content aggregation and web crawlers preferred
- Strong working knowledge of all current graphic web-design applications
- Working knowledge and experience of HTML 5 and CSS 3 a plus
- Working knowledge of SDLC
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with global project teams spread across several time zones
- Strong teamwork, communication and time management abilities a must
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about.
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.