Vice President, Legal Counsel
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of September 30, 2018, the firm managed approximately $6.44 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
We are searching for an attorney to support BlackRock's North American investment management business, with a particular focus on providing legal advice and consultation with respect to BlackRock's bank-maintained collective investment fund business, a suite of approximately 700 funds. The candidate must be able to directly manage and coordinate across a wide variety of business and operations teams on regulatory, compliance and business issues and risks associated with the ongoing operations of the collective investment funds, including the development of new funds, maintenance of existing funds, drafting and maintenance of fund disclosures and related materials, and other special projects.
- Providing legal advice and consultation, focusing on a variety of legal issues relating to bank-maintained collective investment funds regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and asset management services
- Drafting and ongoing maintenance of fund investment guidelines, fund and risk disclosure documents and ancillary fund documents, such as fund fact sheets and strategy commentaries
- Managing internal business relationships and communicating directly with internal business clients
- Researching and advising on contractual, securities law, banking law, trading and portfolio management issues
- Candidates must have a J.D. with superior academic credentials from a nationally-recognized law school and 3+ years' experience as a lawyer in a major law firm or in the legal department of a leading financial services organization
- Candidates should have some experience with the U.S. Federal securities laws (preferably the Investment Advisers Act and/or the Investment Company Act) and/or general U.S. corporate law
- Knowledge and experience advising mutual funds or exchange traded funds under the Investment Advisers Act, Investment Company Act, Securities Act and Securities Exchange Act, or private funds
- Familiarity with drafting fund disclosure documents
- Familiarity with ERISA's prohibited transaction rules and other provisions applicable to investment managers is desired but not required
- Familiarity with OCC Regulation 9 and other banking law applicable to investment managers is desired but not required
- Candidates must have the ability and desire to develop expertise in new or unfamiliar areas of law
- Candidates must have exceptional analytical, written and verbal communication skills
- Candidates must have strong inter-personal and relationship-building skills
- Candidates must be able to work effectively both independently and as a member of team, in a demanding, fast-paced, global environment
- Candidates must be able to work efficiently on multiple tasks and projects concurrently while responding promptly to inquiries from colleagues and internal clients located in multiple time zones
- Candidates must maintain the highest standards of professionalism and must pay careful attention to detail
- Candidates must be capable of collaborating with and overseeing work done by outside counsel
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person's appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and also any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.
Back to top