Modeling & Analytics Specialist, Associate (Budapest)
At BlackRock we are building something great in Budapest, our new global technology and Innovation hub, where we want to shape a culture in which challenge, development and innovation happen every day. Our mission as an organisation is create a better financial future for our clients and BlackRock Budapest will enable this, through a relentless drive to make ourselves and our communities better. We are a diverse bunch of people who like to analyse, reinvent, and enhance how we work, and all in the pursuit of a better experience for our colleagues and clients. We offer The excitement to be a founder in a start-up with the security of a global, leading organization, where you will find innovation and inclusion are our competitive advantages. There are limitless problems to solve and opportunities for learning and development, alongside a team of clever and caring colleagues. Our culture is one of respect, challenge and stretch and we expect and value feedback. We believe that people reach their best potential when the different facets of their home, work and community are all cared about. We will have a fun, fast paced work environment located in cutting edge facilities, with competitive and innovative benefits, and the ability to define your role, pursue your aspirations and shape your future within Hungary and beyond.
Introduction to BlackRock's Advisory Business:
BlackRock's Financial Markets Advisory ("FMA" or "Advisory") group provides counsel to financial institutions, regulators, and government entities on their most critical and often most complex financial issues. The broad set of capabilities within FMA seeks to combine asset expertise and capital markets knowledge with practical, results-oriented consulting and advisory skills. The group typically works with senior management at top financial institutions, official institutions and market intermediaries and utilities around the globe, with a focus on their balance sheet and capital markets exposures as well as a wide range of other strategic, regulatory and operational challenges.
The FMA group was established in 2008, to address the unique challenges that arose globally as a consequence of the financial crisis. Since its founding, FMA has completed over 500 assignments for over 225 unique clients in 31 countries. The FMA team is regularly called upon to address our clients' most unique challenges. FMA provides financial, experiential, educational, and promotion opportunities to attract, retain and develop some of BlackRock's most outstanding talent. We presently conduct our activities through over 250 professionals located globally, principally in London and New York with office locations in Athens, Budapest, Charlotte, Dublin, Frankfurt, Gurgaon, Milan, Washington and Zurich. The FMA group operates behind an informational barrier separating it from the firm's traditional portfolio management activities. This creates a conflict-avoidant environment and further serves to protect client data and proprietary information.
Introduction to FMA's Market & Analytics Group (MAG):
The Markets & Analytics Group (MAG) within FMA is the global function accountable for developing a strategic and innovative approach to the capital markets and analytical components of client engagements. The group has a wide range of responsibilities across the life of FMA's processes and client assignments including, but not limited to:
- Driving the design and execution of analytical processes within engagements, working in concert with subject matter experts, engagement managers and other engagement team members (e.g., work on a project team responsible for developing a suite of stress testing models for a large European bank, covering the end-to-end process from onboarding millions of records of historical loan portfolio data to building comprehensive balance sheet models for review with bank and regulatory stakeholders, and ultimately impacting capital decisions)
- Providing capital markets content, including asset class expertise and trade execution capabilities, across engagements, leveraging direct and Firm resources (e.g., provide liquidation cost analysis related to a portfolio of complex, structured securities in support of a Client's strategic divestment initiative, valuing and managing the wind-down of a Client's non-core portfolio of structured assets)
- Driving commercial momentum across all aspects of FMA, playing a key role in client solicitations and product development (e.g., be an active stakeholder in all aspects of client-level dialogue – including executive level interaction – related to FMA's analytical capabilities and asset class / product suite)
- Serving as the central point of coordination with other relevant constituencies at the firm including, the BlackRock Solutions ("BRS") Financial Modeling Group ("FMG"), with respect to project design, execution, and delivery, as well as strategic deployment and coordination of resources (e.g., develop a deep understanding of analytics, modeling, and technology at BlackRock while building a broad network across the firm)
- Providing oversight on the quality of all analytical deliverables across the department, through the development and execution of a consistent quality assurance process
The Modeling and Analytics vertical within MAG is responsible for leading custom model design, development and delivery as well as for providing model validation advisory support for FMA clients.
Custom model development responsibilities include leading the global execution of customized modeling engagements for third party clients, implementing and executing model development standards for estimation, delivery and documentation of newly created models, and close coordination with other modeling teams within BlackRock.
Model validation responsibilities involve leading the global execution of model validation advisory engagements, supporting model validation and documentation requirements and components of complex, high-profile client projects in accordance with supervisory and internal model risk management standards.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Play a hands-on role in client project execution for customized model development and model validation advisory assignments, working in close collaboration with FMA engagement teams to ensure that the client is comfortable with proposed solution and aware of any limitations
- Evaluate different modelling approaches and software platforms (e.g., R, SAS, Python, Excel/VBA, etc) by careful consideration of client's objectives, expertise and infrastructure as well as internal capabilities
- Define and develop procedures and standards for modeling content and related documentation supporting project needs, and clients' business and model validation requirements
- Guide project teams to create state of the art custom model development (including relevant analytics and reporting) and accompanying model documentation to fulfil clients' business and model validation requirements
- Contribute to business development, relationship management, lead qualification and strategic product development for all projects with a custom model estimation or model validation component
- Liaise/collaborate with asset/market experts in customized model development process
- Collaborate with FMG, Risk and Quantitative Analysis (RQA) and other related teams at BlackRock for model development, model risk management and documentation best practices and approaches as well as on any validation-related topics pertaining to BlackRock's proprietary models (e.g. Aladdin)
- Serve as subject matter authority on modelling and model validation best practices, staying current on latest sector-specific regulatory guidance, developments and trends
- Stay abreast of relevant technology and software development trends in the industry and determine their applicability to the Advisory business
- Source, train and develop talent, including customized modeling staff and technical writers, to support the function
Meet Some of BlackRock's Employees
Vice President, Quality Engineering
Tyron works with the Aladdin Quality Engineering Team, focused on improving the quality of the Aladdin platform, reducing defects and improving productivity by building software to test software.
Back to top