Manager Research Associate
Manager Research Associate - New York
Introduction to BlackRock's Client Solutions Business
BlackRock's Client Solutions ("CS") team is comprised of over 140 professionals globally that provide complex solutions support for the Firm's largest institutional clients. Client Solutions serves over 400 clients comprising over $400 billion of AUM.
Client Solutions' mission encompasses acting as the clearing house for complex client inquiry, supporting clients with custom analytics, promoting solutions/objective-based client engagement, fulfilling client needs on a product-agnostic basis and providing thought leadership across a range of topics with a focus on long term strategic decision-making.
The Client Solutions team has a broad set of investment experience across fixed income, equity, alternatives and a wide range of specialized investment strategies which support its role in managing complex solutions and providing strategy, thought leadership and idea generation for clients and their consultants.
The Client Solutions team uses on-team expertise and resources in addition to the full breadth of BlackRock's investment capabilities across Alpha, Beta, Multi-Asset, Alternatives and Trading & Liquidity Strategies in order to deliver outcome-oriented investing solutions that typically incorporate liabilities, capital and other drivers of investment strategy.
BlackRock is committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce regardless of race, national origin, sex (including gender identity/expression), pregnancy and maternity, sexual orientation, age, disability, marriage or civil partnership, or religion or belief. Within Client Solutions, we are committed to creating and promoting a diverse and inclusive working environment where all employees are valued and respected. Consistent with our diverse client base, we recognize the benefit that diverse teams bring to the success of our business.
Client Solutions is seeking an Associate level generalist research analyst for its global Manager Research team to focus on the evaluation and monitoring of alternative investment strategies, including private equity, hedge funds and real estate among other sub-asset classes.
The individual will work with senior members of the team in the US and Europe to ensure that our institutional clients have access to a comprehensive range of best-of-breed investment strategies across all asset classes. The role encompasses both new searches and on-going monitoring. New searches comprise reviews of the competitive landscape for active management in a given asset class and due diligence on specific investment strategies, investment teams and asset management firms. The aim of a new search is to propose the addition of the most compelling investment strategy to a list of strategies approved for use in client portfolios. On-going monitoring comprises continuous tracking of performance and risk of all approved investment strategies and managers including regular meetings with the investment teams. The Manager Research team shares the outcome of new searches and monitoring with Portfolio Managers and Strategists within Client Solutions in support of the execution of multi-manager mandates and the preparation of investment recommendations to clients.
The individual will be responsible for quantitative and qualitative research of investment strategies. Part of the research is to systematically review and interpret portfolio risk and performance attribution. In addition to conducting desk research, the successful candidate will participate in meetings with investment professionals assessing their ability to outperform their respective benchmarks. The individual will succinctly document the outcome of due diligence and monitoring processes in support of the management of client mandates. The role provides an opportunity to join client facing members of the Client Solutions team in presentations to prospective and existing clients.
The candidate should exhibit outstanding analytical capabilities and excellent communication skills. The successful candidate will have strong organizational capabilities and demonstrate process rigor.
- Conduct primary, quantitative and qualitative research of investment opportunities and strategies with a focus on alternative investment strategies
- Perform due diligence on strategies, investment teams and asset management firms; participating in or leading meetings to interview investment professionals –including on-site- to effectively assess their skills, the quality of their investment strategy and their ability to consistently add alpha above their respective benchmarks
- Document the selection, monitoring and due diligence process in support of well-researched recommendations to address specific client portfolio needs in the most effective way
- Support negotiations of terms, conditions and mandate specifications of separately managed accounts
- Monitor existing client exposures to investment strategies/managers through in-person meetings and calls, review and interpret portfolio risk and performance attribution reports and document findings
- Participate in presentations to prospective and existing clients
- 3-7 years direct working experience in investment manager research or asset management, ideally within alternative asset classes
- Critical analysis of manager value-add is necessary
- Highly analytical with strong verbal and written communication skills. Strong excel/financial modeling skills required
- Energetic, inquisitive and the necessary initiative to work on an analytical, research-driven team
- Strong organizational skills with keen attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Undergraduate degree required; CFA and/or MBA/graduate degree (or working towards said designation) preferred
- Knowledge of VBA, eVestment, and Bloomberg a plus
- BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
Meet Some of BlackRock's Employees
Vice President, Quality Engineering
Tyron works with the Aladdin Quality Engineering Team, focused on improving the quality of the Aladdin platform, reducing defects and improving productivity by building software to test software.
Back to top