Japanese Equity Specialist - VP
BlackRock Fundamental Equity
BlackRock's Fundamental Active Equity division manages a full range of equity strategies that span the risk/return spectrum, along with several targeted opportunities in specific market sectors. More than 40 investment teams—consisting of portfolio managers, research analysts and traders—manage style-specific portfolios built on BlackRock company research in each major equity asset class.
BlackRock's Asian Fundamental Active Equity (FAE) team is seeking a Japanese Equity Specialist with primary responsibility for research on Japanese equities and the provision of insights and investment recommendations for portfolios. The successful individual will be a key member of the team and will also be responsible for providing not just individual Japanese equity calls but also identifying, and communicating, the investment implications for the broader Asian equity universe.
Given the significant influence that Japan has on the region – and vice versa – this is an absolutely critical role on the team and it is important that the successful candidate act as a bridge between Japan and the Asia ex Japan locations.
It is anticipated that the successful candidate will, in time, become involved in the day-to-day management of Japanese equity portfolios working alongside the current lead portfolio manager.
- Responsible for Japanese stock analysis and investment recommendations with robust knowledge of stocks in the MSCI Japan universe as a minimum
- Undertake robust and rigorous research and analysis on Japanese companies.
- Recommend and share investment ideas for Japanese equities to other investment professionals within the Asian equities team.
- Provide macro-economic views and insights as well as opinions on the outlook for Japanese equities and key and pertinent market drivers from top-down and bottom-up perspectives.
- Partner closely with the rest of the Asian equity team and build close working rapport. Contribute to the broader alpha generation of the team beyond just Japanese stocks through the provision of relevant and insightful comments on drivers for non-Japanese Asian stocks.
- Operate as part of the team utilising best practices in terms of philosophy and process while contributing to evolution and development.
- Build partnership and strong working relationship with the Japanese Small Cap team in Tokyo
- Serve as a resource for, and share information with, other investment professionals at BlackRock.
- Be an ambassador for the Asian equity team.
Knowledge/ Experience/Skills Required:
- Minimum 8 years Japanese equity market experience
- Proven research and analytical capabilities
- Proven portfolio management skills preferred
- Ability to work under pressure, multi-task and prioritize
- Well organized and disciplined
- Effective team player
- Conscientious with attention to detail
- Experience in Long/Short strategies preferred
- Japanese language fluency plus ability to read Japanese language corporate accounts
- English language fluency
- CFA and/or post graduate degree preferred
- Practical knowledge of derivatives preferred
Meet Some of BlackRock's Employees
Vice President, Quality Engineering
Tyron works with the Aladdin Quality Engineering Team, focused on improving the quality of the Aladdin platform, reducing defects and improving productivity by building software to test software.
Back to top