Front End Developer (React / Redux / NodeJS) - Financial Technology
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of September 30, 2018, the firm managed approximately $6.44 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and invite you to read more about us and our parent company, BlackRock.
We are a team of passionate engineers and domain experts revolutionizing the finance industry. Backed by BlackRock, we are a business-to-business, software-as-a-service (SAAS) company building a platform that allows our users to achieve their financial goals.
We are growing at a steady rate and we are looking to build new technology and processes to scale our business. We are looking for team members who want to build impactful solutions to a really
challenging problem: producing better financial outcomes for families.
About the Teams
The Client Experience Engineering team is responsible for building the FutureAdvisor client facing web applications and
tools. Our developers work closely with other engineering teams, product management and user experience (UX) designers to deliver compelling web and
mobile experiences for our partners and their users. This includes turning requirements into technical specs, development and testing of new features, bug
fixes, and building internal tools and workflow enhancements.
The Core Platform team owns the foundational technologies that enable the UX of our applications. Our developers on this
team work closely with other engineering teams, architects, and UX designers. As stewards of these technologies, the Core Platform team supports the
component design system that forms the basis of our UX as well as server-side technologies that enable building and delivery of front-end assets to
end-users. Providing this support includes writing technical specifications and documentation, coordinating system changes with multiple teams, and educating
engineers on how to employ current and future technologies.
We use a React and Redux stack on NodeJS, including Flow for Static Typing and Jest for unit tests and are migrating to
Webpack 4 and completely dockerized continuous deployments. Our backend stack includes Ruby on Rails and MySQL and there is opportunity for full stack development.
About the position
Senior level front end engineer that can help set and improve best engineering practices and guide the technical direction of our team and platform. There is room in this position to take on more web
platform and front end build & deployment work or more backend work if that is your career goal.
Role & Responsibilities
- Build mobile-responsive web applications that are highly scalable and secure
- Participate in the full software development life-cycle: coding, testing, architecture, design reviews, etc.
- Work with PMs and UX designers to define requirements and scope
- Build and improve testing frameworks and best practices
- Help establish front-end best practices and guidelines
- You are a front-end focused developer with 5 to 10 years of experience
- You are self-motivated, curious, and passionate about building products that scale
- You write documentation when it can help other developers at scale
- You are an optimist and bring solutions
- You believe in testing your code
- You are looking for a firm that is small enough where you can have a direct impact on the business and large enough to be full stack with room for growth
- You are interested in finance and want to work for a firm that is best-in-class
- You enjoy having the perks of both a small company and a large company: we have a small company culture without crazy start-up hours and large company benefits like HR and IT support, Employee Networks, speakers, workshops, and more.
- Strong hands on development experience with ES6 and current JS frameworks like React or Angular2+
- Experience with Scrum and Agile development tools
- Experience with CSS and CSS preprocessors (e.g. Sass, Less)
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience
- Prior experience working in financial service/fintech
- Experience with Redux and Webpack
- Experience working with Ruby on Rails and MySQL
- We are only considering local candidates at this time
How to stand out during the application process
- Highlight any education or experience you may have in finance, banking, economics, statistics, etc.
- Send us a cover letter! Cover letters don't have to be a lost art. Tell us a little about why you are interested in FutureAdvisor and what you are looking for in your next role
- Don't send us a Linkedin download as a resume. We are looking for engineers with an eye for quality user interfaces and who are continually looking for ways to optimize existing processes and toolsets.
About Our Parent Company
BlackRock is a global
investment firm, trusted to manage more assets than any other. Our clients are
companies, governments, foundations, and millions of individuals saving for
retirement, their children's educations, and a better life. BlackRock is
passionate about providing products and services that can help them build a
strong financial future. BlackRock employees from around the globe are students
of the market and students of technology, respectfully anti-bureaucratic, and
innovative at the core.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person's appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and also any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.
Back to top